Skip to main content

Key facts on Work Permit for migrant worker

Get an overview and key facts about the Work Permit for migrant workers.

Pass facts 

Who it is for Workers from approved source countries/regions working in the construction, manufacturing, marine shipyard, process or services sector. Find out the eligibility criteria.
Who can apply An employer or appointed employment agent needs to apply for the permit.
Qualifying salary No minimum required.
What is the duration Up to 2 years, depending on the validity of the worker's passport, security bond and employment period.
Is it renewable Yes. Find out how to renew.
Passes for family Not available.
Quota and levy Yes. Employers are limited by a quota for their industry and have to pay a monthly levy for each worker. Find out the quota and levy requirements.
Medical insurance Employers must provide medical insurance
Primary Care Plan (PCP)

Employers must complete all of the following:

  • After getting the in-principle approval (IPA) or renewal letter, buy the PCP for workers who either:
    • Stay in dormitories that can accommodate 7 or more workers
    • Work in CMP sectors
  • Before the Work Permit can be issued or renewed, declare the PCP purchase on WP Online.
Relevant legislation Conditions of Work Pass
Employment of Foreign Manpower Act
Related eServices and forms Access online services and forms for Work Permit.

Pass map

Get an idea of what you need to do before, during and after you apply for a Work Permit.

Before applying

Before worker's arrival

  • Apply for Work Permit

  • Prepare for worker's arrival

    • Ensure that the worker complies with the latest vaccination and travel requirements.
    • Book a slot at the Onboard centre once you know their arrival date.

      For all non-Malaysian CMP Work Permit Holders on IPA.

    • Buy a security bond.

      For non-Malaysian Work Permit holders

    • Buy medical insurance for each Work Permit holder and submit the insurance details online.
    • Buy the Primary Care Plan.

      For workers who stay in dormitories or work in CMP sectors

    • Register the worker for the Settling-in Programme (SIP) once you know their arrival date.

      For employers of all non-Malaysian Work Permit holders in the manufacturing sector and female CMP workers

Upon worker's arrival


As and when required

Note: Pass holders may be required to pay income tax.