You can renew a Work Permit online 7 to 12 weeks before it expires. Before renewing, you also need to complete certain steps, such as checking your quota and extending the worker's security bond and medical insurance.
- You must complete all the following:
- After receiving the Work Permit renewal notice, buy the Primary Care Plan (PCP) for workers who either stay in dormitories (that can accommodate 7 or more workers) or work in the CMP sectors.
- Before the Work Permit can be renewed, declare the PCP purchase on WP Online.
- Workers who meet any of the following conditions must be fully vaccinated to be considered for a Work Permit renewal:
- Work in the construction, marine shipyard or process (CMP) sector.
- Stay in dormitories.
- For workers who are currently on Home Recovery Programme and cannot do their medical examinations, you can request for time to get the Work Permit renewed. You can also submit this request if your workers are waiting for a new passport.
- For workers who are unable to return to Singapore to have their Work Permits renewed, please cancel the Work Permits and re-apply for them when the COVID-19 situation has stabilised.
At a glance
When to renew
||7 to 12 weeks before the permit expires. You can go to WP Online to view the list of workers eligible for renewal
Who can renew
Employer or appointed employment agent (EA)
How much it costs
$35 per renewal
How long it takes
The outcome is immediate
You can make an appeal
if your worker is not eligible to get a renewal. However, your appeal is unlikely to be successful unless you provide new information when you appeal.
When to renew
You should renew the Work Permit 7 to 12 weeks before it expires. Otherwise, an overstaying fine will be imposed.
If your worker plans to travel overseas just before the Work Permit expiry date, you should renew the Work Permit before he leaves Singapore.
You can go to WP Online to:
- View the list of workers eligible for renewal.
- Print a copy of the renewal letter if you didn’t receive it.
If you renew the Work Permit late, you’re still liable for the levy after it expires. Levy penalties or overstaying fine, if applicable, may also be imposed.
You will need the following documents and information for renewal:
Documents and information
Scanned copy of the personal particulars page of the worker’s passport (including pages that have amendments)
Check that the worker’s passport has enough validity to cover the intended period of employment. To get a 2-year Work Permit, the passport needs to be valid for
at least 25 months.
Security bond (for non-Malaysian workers)
Get a new security bond and complete the Security Bond Form.
The bank or insurance company must send us the new security bond details before you renew the permit.
The effective date of the security bond can be post-dated up to 1 day after the expiry date of the existing Work Permit.
Extend your worker’s existing medical insurance or get a new policy.
You can buy the medical insurance from the same bank or insurance company where you buy the security bond.
Work Permit renewal notice and application form
||Print this form in WP Online.
Details for card delivery (only if the notification letter states that the worker will be getting a new card)
You will need:
- An address (home or office) where the card will be delivered.
- The names, NRIC, FIN or passport numbers, mobile numbers and email addresses of up to 3 authorised recipients to receive the card.
How to renew
Processing time: Immediate
You can renew the Work Permit online.
To renew the permit:
- Register the worker’s residential address and mobile number using the Online Foreign Workers Address Service (OFWAS) – at least an hour before renewing the pass online.
- Log in to WP Online to submit the application and upload the required documents. You may be asked to upload more or fewer documents during online renewal depending on what you have entered.
Print and refer to the renewal notice and application form in WP Online under the “Renew” function for specific instructions.
- Pay $35 for each renewal. You can pay by GIRO, VISA, Master Card or eNETS debit.
After the Work Permit is renewed
After the Work Permit is renewed, print and check the notification letter to see:
|If notification letter states
||The existing card
|Continue using the existing card.
Must be kept by the worker.
Note: If you return it when you don’t need to, you have to pay $60 to replace the pass.
|Getting a new card.
||Must be cut in half and discarded to prevent misuse.
The notification letter:
- Is valid for 1 month from the date of issue. Request to extend the validity if you have a change of travel plans.
- Should be given to the worker. It allows the worker to travel in and out of Singapore while waiting for the Work Permit card.
[For CMP workers or those staying in dormitories] Before their passes can be renewed, ensure that you have:
Duration of renewal
The Work Permit is usually valid for 2 years. However, it may be shorter depending on:
- The expiry of the worker’s passport. If it expires in less than 2 years, the duration will be until 1 month before the expiry date.
- The validity of the security bond. If it is less than 26 months, the duration until 2 months before the security bond expires.
- The validity of the prior approval (if applicable).
- The maximum employment period of your workers (see Work Permit requirements for your sector).
To get the full 2-year duration, you should renew your worker’s passport and security bond before you renew the Work Permit. Embassies may impose requirements on the renewal of passports.