As an employer, you need to purchase a security bond for each non-Malaysian foreign worker you want to employ. You can buy the bond at any bank or insurance company.
What is a security bond
You need to place a $5,000 security bond for each non-Malaysian Work Permit holder you want to employ. The bond is in the form of a banker’s or insurance guarantee to support the security bond.
The bond is between you (the employer) and the Government of Singapore. It is used to ensure that both you and your workers comply with the conditions of the Work Permit. You cannot ask the worker to pay for the bond.
When to buy the bond
Before your worker arrives in Singapore, you must:
- Buy a security bond.
- Ensure your insurer sends us the security bond details (takes up to 3 working days) and the bond takes effect on the worker's arrival date.
- Log in to WP Online to check the status of the security bond and print the security bond acknowledgement letter. Send a copy of the letter to your worker.
If you do not complete the steps above, your workers will be refused entry and you will have to pay to send them home.
When will the bond be discharged
You will be discharged from the security bond liability for a worker only if you meet all of these conditions:
- You have cancelled the Work Permit.
- The worker has returned home.
- You did not breach any of the conditions of the security bond.
If all conditions are met, the security bond will usually be discharged one week after the worker left Singapore.
You’ll be notified by post when the security bond is discharged.
When the bond will be forfeited
Your security bond may be forfeited if any of these happens:
- You or your worker violates any of the conditions of the Work Permit or security bond.
- You don't pay your worker's salary on time.
- You fail to send your worker home when the Work Permit is expired, revoked or cancelled.
- Your worker goes missing.
You will not be liable for your workers’ violations (such as those relating to pregnancy) if you can prove that you have:
- Informed them of the Work Permit conditions they must comply with.
- Reported a violation when you first become aware of it.