Skip to main content

Replace a Work Permit card for migrant domestic worker (MDW)

You must apply for a new Work Permit card for your MDW within 1 week if it is lost, damaged or stolen.

At a glance

When to replace

If your helper's Work Permit card is lost, stolen or damaged, you must apply for a replacement within 1 week.


  • For a stolen card, you must also file a police report.
  • If your helper lost the card while overseas, you must inform us immediately. We will issue a letter for your helper to enter Singapore with.
Who can apply Employer or appointed employment agent (EA).
How much it costs

For a damaged card, the fee is $60.

For a lost or stolen card, the fee is:

  • $100 for the first time.
  • $300 for subsequent times.

Fees are non-refundable.

How long it takes

Immediate for most cases.

Card collection: 4 working days after approval.


  • We may call you for an interview before we issue a new card, or if you lose your card repeatedly. The request to replace the card is subject to approval.
  • If the lost card is found, please return it to us immediately by post: Ministry of Manpower, 18 Havelock Road, Singapore 059764.

Apply for a replacement card

When: Within 1 week of damage or loss

Processing time: Immediate for most cases

To submit an application:

  1. Log in to WP Online and apply.
  2. Pay the replacement fees using eNETS credit or debit. Once you submit the request, no refund is allowed.
  3. If the application is approved, print the card replacement letter. It will have instructions on collecting the replacement card.

Collect the replacement card

When: 4 working days after approval

The replacement card will be ready for collection 4 working days after your application is approved.

You or your helper can collect the card at MOM Services Centre - Hall C. You don’t need an appointment.

Bring along these documents for the visit:

  • Helper’s original passport
  • Card replacement letter
  • The damaged card (if applicable)
  • Completed declaration form (for lost or stolen cards)
  • Police report (for stolen cards)
    Note: Overseas police reports should be translated into English.

For lost or stolen cards, your helper must collect the replacement card in person.

For replacement of damaged cards, you can authorise someone to collect the card on your behalf. Make sure the authorised person brings these along:

  • An authorisation letter from you 
  • NRIC, pass card or passport for verification
  • The damaged card
  • Helper's original passport
  • Card replacement letter

Newly issued Work Permit cards for helpers will no longer state the name and address of employers.

You can download SGWorkPass to scan QR code on the new card to check the employer's name, address and other details.