Our services centres are open for customers with appointments. Please use our online services (e.g. eServices, web chat, website) or make an appointment if you’re unable to use our digital services. Find out what are the current work pass requirements.
Skip to main content

Work Permit: hiring an existing marine shipyard worker

You can hire existing workers without them having to leave Singapore first. Find out the requirements and how to apply.

From 1 April 2020, a temporary scheme will allow you to hire existing non-Malaysian workers from other sectors. This scheme has been extended until 28 February 2021: 

  • For transfers of Work Permit holders with more than 40 days or less than 21 days to Work Permit expiry, you can register your interest with the Singapore Business Federation (SBF) at manpowerconnect@sbf.org.sg, or visit SBF’s website for more information. You need to get a written agreement from the current employer.

  • For transfers of Work Permit holders with 40 to 21 days left to Work Permit expiry, you can submit your request to MOM online. You do not need the agreement of the current employer.

  • All prevailing work permit criteria will apply for hiring a new worker in your sector. You can also find out more about the scheme.

At a glance

Types of transfer How to apply
With current employer’s written agreement

Submit a new Work Permit application on WP Online to hire from marine shipyard sector.

From 40 to 21 days before Work Permit expiry, no agreement needed Apply for pre-approval with MOM to hire non-Malaysian Work Permit holders from all sectors. (Temporary scheme effective till 28 February 2021.)

You can register your interest with the Associations of Singapore Marine Industries (ASMI) at events@asmi.com, or visit the ASMI’s website for more information.

To hire a marine shipyard worker who is already working in Singapore, you need to:

  • Get the current employer’s written agreement.
  • Make sure their current Work Permit is valid, and apply for new Work Permit at least 21 days before it expires.

For non-Malaysians, their current work permit will be automatically cancelled when the new one is issued. The copy of the written agreement must be produced for document verification.

If you require prior approval (PA) for the Work Permit application, please choose PA type as “New” when you apply through WP Online.