You must cancel an Employment Pass if the pass holder no longer works for you or when the pass expires. Please cut the cancelled pass card in half and discard it to prevent misuse.
At a glance
When to cancel
Depending on which comes first, you must cancel the Employment Pass (EP):
Note: You don't need to cancel the EP if the pass holder becomes a Singapore permanent resident. We will cancel it automatically.
Who can cancel
Employer or appointed employment agent (EA).
How long it takes
Cancellation is immediate.
- If the pass holder has left Singapore permanently, you must cancel the EP within one week from the pass holder's departure date.
- When the EP is cancelled, all related Dependant's Passes, Long Term Visit Passes and Letter of Consent will also be cancelled.
You need to:
- Give reasonable notice of the pass holder’s repatriation.
- Seek tax clearance from the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore (IRAS).
- Settle all outstanding employment issues that the pass holder may raise, including salary payment.
- Buy an air ticket to send the pass holder to the international airport in the home country, nearest to the hometown, unless the pass holder agrees in writing to bear the cost.
- Follow these steps to send the pass holders home.
- For an overview of scheduled flights, you can visit Changi Airport’s website or use the iChangi mobile app. Please check with the airlines directly to confirm if the flights are still operating.
- Before booking the flight, please check whether the airline has any requirements for boarding (e.g. pre-departure COVID-19 test) and ensure the pass holders comply with them. Otherwise, they may not be allowed to board.
When to cancel
Depending on which comes first, you must cancel the EP:
How to cancel
To cancel the pass:
- Log in to EP Online and cancel the pass. Cancellation is immediate and a 30-day Short Term Visit Pass (STVP) will be generated if the pass holder is still in Singapore.
- Give the STVP to the pass holder. They need to show the STVP and valid passport to the immigration officer when leaving Singapore.
To cancel the pass, log in to EP Online and cancel it.
- If you need more time to send your pass holders home (e.g. unable to get flights or they are on Stay-Home Notice), you can request to extend their stay in Singapore. Please submit your request within 1 week before the pass holder's Short-Term Visit Pass expires.
- Once the pass is cancelled, please cut the pass card in half and discard it to prevent misuse.
As we need time to change the instructions in our eServices, pass cards and letters, please ignore any instructions to return the card. Please bear with us while we work on this.