You must cancel an Employment Pass if the pass holder no longer works for you or when the pass expires. You must also return the cancelled pass card.
At a glance
When to cancel
Depending on which comes first, you must cancel the Employment Pass (EP):
Note: You don't need to cancel the EP if the pass holder becomes a Singapore permanent resident. We will cancel it automatically.
Who can cancel
Employer or appointed employment agent (EA).
How long it takes
Cancellation is immediate.
- If the pass holder has left Singapore permanently, you must cancel the EP within one week from the pass holder's departure date.
- When the EP is cancelled, all related Dependant's Passes, Long Term Visit Passes and Letter of Consent will also be cancelled.
You need to:
- Seek tax clearance from the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore (IRAS).
- Settle all outstanding employment issues, such as paying of salary.
- Buy an air ticket to send the pass holder to the international airport in the home country, nearest to the hometown, unless the pass holder agrees in writing to bear the cost.
When to cancel
Depending on which comes first, you must cancel the EP:
How to cancel
To cancel the pass:
- Log in to EP Online and cancel the pass. Cancellation is immediate and a 30-day Short Term Visit Pass (STVP) will be generated if the pass holder is still in Singapore.
- Give a copy of the cancellation acknowledgement letter and STVP to the pass holder. The pass holder must give the STVP to the immigration officer when leaving Singapore.
To cancel the pass, log in to EP Online and cancel it.
Return the card
You must return the original pass card within 1 week from the cancellation by posting it to Work Pass Division, Ministry of Manpower, 18 Havelock Road, Singapore 059764. You can use EP Online’s “card return” function to tell us why you are unable to return the card.
When returning the work pass card, do not:
- Deface, cut up or punch holes into it.
- Tape the card onto a letter.
- Glue or tape multiple cards together.