Skip to main content

Work-related accidents: who should report

If a work-related accident or Dangerous Occurrence happens, or if a worker contracts an Occupational Disease, find out what you are required to do if you are an employer, workplace occupier, treating doctor or employee.


As an employer, you must report work-related accidents and Occupational Diseases to MOM.

These include situations when an employee:

  • Dies in a work-related accident.
  • Contracts an Occupational Disease under WSHA, contracts an Occupational Disease under WICA, or both.
  • Is injured in a work accident or contracted a disease due to work exposure to biological or chemical agent, resulting in any one of the following:
    • Outpatient / hospitalisation leave
    • Light duty

As an employer, you must not influence doctors to prescribe inadequate medical leave to injured employees.

It is important that your injured employees are given adequate medical leave so that they are medically fit when they return to work, without putting the health and safety of themselves or others at risk.

Errant employers may be referred to the relevant authorities, including the Corrupt Practices Investigations Bureau (CPIB) for investigation.


  • If the injured employee is hired by your sub-contractor, tell your sub-contractor to submit the incident report to MOM.
  • If the injured person is self-employed or an independent contractor, the occupier of the premises may need to notify the Commissioner.
  • Use the Incident Cost Calculator to track the real costs of the incident or injury.
  • To get updates, subscribe to the WSH Bulletin.

Workplace occupier

If the workplace is registered as a factory, the occupier is the holder of the Certificate of Registration or factory permit. For all other workplaces, the occupier is the company that has control of the workplace.

If you are an occupier, you must report the following accidents to MOM:

  • A self-employed person or member of the public dies from an accident due to works within your workplace.
  • A Dangerous Occurrence that happens within your workplace.

Treating doctor

If you are a doctor and have diagnosed that an employee has contracted an Occupational Disease under WSHA, you should:

  • Submit an incident report online within 10 days of the diagnosis.
  • Inform the employer of the diagnosis in writing.

If you are unsure of a diagnosis, you can refer the patient to one of the occupational health clinics:

Hospital / Polyclinic Clinic (by appointment) Phone
National Skin Centre Occupational Dermatoses Clinic 6350 6666
Singapore General Hospital Occupational Lung Disease Clinic 6321 4402
Changi General Hospital Joint Environmental Occupational Toxicology Clinic (JEOTC) 6850 3333
Tan Tock Seng Hospital Occupational Deafness Clinic 6357 7000


If you are injured in a work-related accident or have contracted an Occupational Disease, your employer has a legal duty to report it to MOM.

You can help your employer by informing them of your work injury or disease immediately and updating them whenever you are given MCs. This will help your employer to notify MOM quickly.

You may also be eligible to claim work injury compensation.