Skip to main content

Getting a Dependant's Pass for a newborn

If you are an eligible Employment Pass or S Pass holder, your company can apply for a Dependant's Pass for your baby born in Singapore. You will need to get a passport for the baby and apply for the pass within 6 weeks of birth.

Getting a passport for your newborn

When: Within 6 weeks of baby’s date of birth

After the baby is born, you should register your child’s birth with ICA, within 14 calendar days.

Upon completion of the birth registration, you will receive the child’s birth certificate and an ICA advisory note. The note serves to inform that a Special Pass has been granted to allow your newborn to stay in Singapore for 42 days from the date of birth. During this time, you need to:

  • Get a passport for the baby from your embassy or high commission.
  • Apply for and get an appropriate immigration pass for the baby to remain in Singapore.
More information on ICA’s Website.

You must apply for the appropriate immigration pass for your child’s legal stay in Singapore. Any delay beyond 42 days from your child’s birth is an offence under the Immigration Act.

Applying for a Dependant's Pass

Your employer should apply for a Dependant’s Pass through myMOM Portal. Applying online is much faster, and you will get an outcome within 3 weeks for most cases.

If your baby’s passport is not ready, you will need to upload a copy of the proof of passport application (e.g. letter from the embassy showing that you have applied a passport for your baby). In such a case, you may need to extend your baby’s Special Pass.

If the Dependant’s Pass application is successful, your baby’s passport has to be ready before the pass can be issued.

Extend a Special Pass if you need more time

Holding ICA’s advisory note

If your baby’s passport is not ready by the end of 6 weeks, you can request to extend the Special Pass. You should submit this request only if the Advisory Note from ICA is expiring within 7 days.

Holding MOM-issued newborn Special Pass

You do not need to extend the Special Pass if your baby is already holding a Special Pass issued by Ministry of Manpower.

The Special Pass will be auto-extended for 28 days, if the Dependant’s Pass for your baby is not ready yet.

An SMS will be sent to your registered mobile number, one day before the expiry date, to inform you on the updated Special Pass expiry date.

Do not intend to apply for Dependant’s Pass

If you do not intend to get a Dependant’s Pass, you need to apply to ICA to get a visit pass or extend the Special Pass. You may wish to contact ICA before going to the Visitor’s Service Centre, Level 4, ICA Building for further assistance.

If the pass application is unsuccessful

If your baby’s Dependant’s Pass application is unsuccessful, you need to do one of the following:

  • Make sure the baby leaves Singapore before the Special Pass expires. MOM will not grant an extension of the Special Pass.
  • Apply for a visit pass from ICA by going to the Visitor Services Centre, Level 4, ICA Building.