Our services centres are open for customers with appointments. Please use our online services (e.g. eServices, web chat, website) or make an appointment if you’re unable to use our digital services. Find out what are the current work pass requirements.
Skip to main content

For employees: how to claim work injury compensation

To claim for work injury compensation, you will need to report the accident and submit MCs and medical bills to your employer. For permanent incapacity claims, your will need to undergo a medical assessment.

At a glance

Who can claim Injured employee.
When to claim Report the accident to your employer as soon as possible.

For permanent incapacity, file a claim within 1 year from the accident.
How long it takes Within 6 months for most cases. Some cases may need more time to stabilise before a doctor can assess for permanent incapacity.

For non-permanent incapacity cases, report the accident to your employer and seek compensation for medical leave wages and medical treatment related to the work accident.

Non-permanent work injuries refers to an injured employee being temporarily unable to perform work and earn his usual wages after being placed on medical leave.

For permanent incapacity cases, follow these steps for filing a claim:

Step Outcome
Report the accident to employer Employer reports the accident to MOM and pays medical leave wages and medical expenses. MOM sends out a claim application form.
Submit the claim application form (for permanent incapacity) If you wish to claim, MOM will process the claim.

If you don’t wish to claim, you'll get an acknowledgement from MOM.
Go for a medical assessment (if you want to claim) Degree of permanent incapacity is assessed.
Receive the notice of assessment Know the compensation amount.


  • You remain eligible to claim compensation even if you no longer work for the employer or your work pass is cancelled.
  • Your employer may be waiting for the lump sum compensation from their insurance company. Nevertheless, they are required to pay medical leave wages and expenses to you first and seek reimbursement from their insurance company later.
  • If you are a Work Permit holder, seek help from MOM if your employer doesn't provide you with housing or food, or if your employer is trying to send you home before your claim is settled.

Report the accident

You should report all work-related accidents and illnesses to your employer.

To report an accident:

  1. Seek medical treatment and inform your employer or supervisor as soon as possible. If you don’t, they may dispute whether your injury or illness is work-related.
    • You can also keep us informed by making an incident report, so we can help with any disputes.
    • Your employer is required to report your accident if you have been hospitalised for at least 24 hours or had to take more than 3 days of MC (whether consecutive or not).
  2. Give your original MC to your employer to claim medical leave wages. Keep a photocopy for your records.
  3. Give your original medical bills to your employer. Your employer should pay the hospital or clinic directly. If you have paid first, your employer is required to pay you back.
  4. Alert MOM if your employer doesn’t pay your medical bills or medical leave wages, or does not inform us of your condition (for serious injuries).

Submit the claim application form

When: Within 1 year of the accident (for permanent incapacity)

Once MOM has been notified of your accident, we will send the claim application form to you. The form will include your case reference number. Quote this number when you contact MOM.

If you decide to claim compensation for permanent incapacity under WICA:

  1. Return the form to us within 1 year from the date of the accident. We will only be able to process your claim after we receive your application. You may not be able to claim beyond 1 year.
  2. You can check the status of your claim.
You can make a claim under WICA or under common law, but not both. Find out the key differences.

Go for a medical assessment

The doctor that is treating you will assess your injuries:

  • You must attend all medical appointments. Your claim may be suspended if you don’t.
  • After your injury stabilises, the doctor will assess you and inform us of the extent of your injuries (i.e. % of permanent incapacity).

You can seek treatment from any hospital or medical institution. There are no restrictions on the types of hospitals and medical institutions.

However, your employer can request for you to be treated or assessed by the company-approved hospital or medical institutions.

Receive the notice of assessment

When we receive the hospital’s medical report:

  • We will calculate the compensation amount.
  • We will issue a notice of assessment (NOA) to inform you, your employer and your employer’s insurer of the compensation payable.
  • If no one objects, your employer or the employer's insurer is required to issue the compensation cheque within 21 days from the date of service of the NOA.

Any party can object to the assessment, but they must complete and submit the objection form attached to the NOA within 14 days from the date of service on the NOA.

Withdrawing a WICA claim

If you have filed a WICA claim but want to withdraw it to file a civil suit, you need to do so within these timeframes:

  • Within 14 days from the date of service of the NOA, if there are no objections.
  • Within 28 days from the date of service of the NOA, if there are objections.
  • At any time before the NOA is issued.

If you don’t withdraw your claim within these timeframes, the Court may not accept your civil suit.

Note: If all parties accept the NOA and your employer or insurer has paid the compensation, the case is considered resolved and you will no longer be able to file a claim under common law.

How to withdraw a claim

Only you or your legal representative can notify MOM of the decision to withdraw a claim.

To withdraw your claim, you can:

  • Write or email to your claims officer.
  • Go to the MOM Services Centre at 1500 Bendemeer Road for a withdrawal statement.