You need to pay a levy for your MDW every month using GIRO. Find out the levy rates and how to pay and view your levy bills.
What is the foreign worker levy
The foreign worker levy, commonly known as “levy”, is a pricing mechanism to regulate the number of foreigners in Singapore.
As an employer, you don’t have to pay Central Provident Fund (CPF) contributions for your helper. However, you must pay a monthly levy for her.
For first-time helpers, the levy will begin on the
5th day of their arrival (including the arrival date). Otherwise, the levy will begin the next day after the helper arrives.
The levy ends when the Work Permit is cancelled or expires.
The levy rate for helpers is as follows:
Type of levy
|Normal (1st helper)
Normal (Subsequent helpers)
- The daily levy rate only applies to helpers who did not complete a full calendar month. The daily levy rate is calculated as follows: (Monthly levy rate x 12) / 365 = rounding up to the nearest cent.
- The concessionary rate applies to families with a young child, elderly member or person with disability. Find out if you qualify for levy concession.
- When you are no longer eligible for levy concession or your number of helpers changes, the levy rate may be adjusted. The new rate takes effect immediately.
When and how to pay the levy
You must pay the levy via General Interbank Recurring Order (GIRO).
If you don't have a GIRO account, apply for one using the GIRO application form. We will notify you of the outcome and start date of the GIRO deduction by post within one month.
You can check the status using Check and pay levy, two weeks after submitting the application.
|After GIRO is approved
|If you need to pay levy using other methods
You must pay the levy for each month by the 14th of the following month.
Note: It takes longer for us to process your payment when you pay using other methods.
You should not use other payment methods if you already have a GIRO arrangement, as the scheduled GIRO deduction will still go ahead.
View levy bills online
You can view your latest levy bill on the 6th of every month using Check and pay levy. You can log in using your Singpass.
Penalties for not paying levy
If you don’t pay the full levy on time, you may face the following penalties:
- You'll be charged a late payment penalty of 2% per month or $20, whichever is higher. Your total late payment penalty will be capped at 30% of the outstanding levy.
- Your helper's Work Permit will be revoked.
- You won't be allowed to apply for or issue a new Work Permit, or renew an existing Work Permit.
- You may face legal action to recover the unpaid levy.