Skip to main content

Apply to be an approved crane contractor

Find out how to apply to be an approved crane contractor, including application criteria and documents required.

At a glance

Who can apply Company representative.
How much it costs $150 (inclusive of GST).
Fees are non-refundable, regardless of the outcome of your application.
How long it takes Up to 8 weeks.
Relevant regulations WSH (Operation of Cranes) Regulations 2011
Validity Lifetime, as long as your bizSAFE level 3 and above certification is valid.
Related eServices Registration for WSH Service Providers

What is an approved crane contractor

In accordance with the Workplace Safety and Health (Operation of Cranes) Regulations, only an approved crane contractor can install, repair, alter or dismantle a crane.

Work involving cranes is a common occurrence at worksites. If not properly handled, parts of a crane can be damaged and cause danger. If a crane is not handled according to the manufacturer’s instructions, the crane may fail even though it has been properly manufactured.

The crane contractor or erector, therefore, plays a critical role in preventing accidents involving cranes.

Who can apply

You need to meet the following requirements to apply:

  • Employ at least 2 qualified and experienced crane erectors approved to carry out the installation, alteration and dismantling of a crane.
  • Provide a training program to instruct crane erectors on how to follow the manufacturer's procedures.
  • Be registered with the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA).
  • If you want to repair cranes, produce evidence that you have the expertise to do so.
  • Have a valid bizSAFE level 3 and above certification (including bizSAFE Partner or bizSAFE Mentor).

Before you apply, you may want to read the Enhanced registration renewal criteria for approved crane contractors.

How to apply

To apply to be an approved crane contractor:

  1. Log in to apply.
  2. Upload all supporting documents.
  3. Pay the $150 fee online. Your application will only be processed upon payment.
  4. (Optional) Log in to check your application status.

You will receive an email notification if your application is successful.

Documents required

You will need to submit PDF copies of the following documents:

  • A copy of your business profile lodged with ACRA.
  • Company's training programme to instruct crane erectors on how to follow the manufacturer's procedures.
  • Supporting documents for at least 2 crane erectors.
  • Medical report form - for applicants 60 years old and above or if required.
  • BizSAFE Level 3 and above certification.
  • For crane erectors, certification of attendance for brand-specific training approved or conducted by the manufacturer. The training should be for the installation, alteration and dismantling of cranes.
  • For crane contractors of tower cranes, certificates showing that crane erectors have completed the BCAA's course for tower crane installation, alteration and dismantling.
  • A Letter of Declaration that the company has the manufacturer's manual, which contains instructions on safe procedures for the installation, repair, alteration and dismantling of the cranes. The list must include all manuals (with the brand and models).

All certificates for crane erectors must bear their NRIC, FIN, Work Permit or S Pass number. Passport number is not allowed.

For Singapore citizens and PRs, you need to approach the course provider to reissue the certificate with your NRIC.

For certificates issued with passport number or without identification number, you need to approach the course provider to reissue a certificate using your FIN, Work Permit or S Pass number.

Additional documents for crane repair

If you want to repair cranes, you need to submit PDF copies of these additional documents:

  • Letter of authorisation from crane manufacturers that the company is qualified to repair load-bearing parts of the crane.
  • If you are unable to produce the authorisation letter, you can submit other evidence to support your expertise in repairing cranes, including:
    • Welding procedure specification, welding procedure and welders' qualification records.
    • A detailed work procedure on the repair needed. The procedure must cover the scope of the repair work, a list of OEM parts of the repair, non-destructive testing and the load test when the repair is completed.
    • A procedure for keeping the Authorised Examiner informed of any repair work. It should include the Authorised Examiner's acknowledgement that they are informed and will supervise the repairs.
    • A letter of undertaking from the Authorised Examiner that they will supervise the repairs. The Authorised Examiner must also ensure that the contractor repairs the crane in compliance with the procedures given and that the material used is approved by the manufacturer.
      Note: If the Authorised Examiner stops supervising the repairs, you need to get a letter of undertaking from another Authorised Examiner.
    • A letter of undertaking from your organisation saying that it will only use material approved by the manufacturer for repairs and that the repairs will be supervised by the Authorised Examiner.