Find out how to apply to be an approved crane contractor, including application criteria and documents required.
At a glance
What is an approved crane contractor
In accordance with the Workplace Safety and Health (Operation of Cranes) Regulations, only an approved crane contractor can install, repair, alter or dismantle a crane.
Work involving cranes is a common occurrence at worksites. If not properly handled, parts of a crane can be damaged and cause danger. If a crane is not handled according to the manufacturer’s instructions, the crane may fail even though it has been properly manufactured.
The crane contractor or erector, therefore, plays a critical role in preventing accidents involving cranes.
Who can apply
You need to meet the following requirements to apply:
- Employ at least 2 qualified and experienced crane erectors approved to carry out the installation, alteration and dismantling of a crane.
- Provide a training program to instruct crane erectors on how to follow the manufacturer's procedures.
- Be registered with the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA).
- If you want to repair cranes, produce evidence that you have the expertise to do so.
- Have a valid bizSAFE level 3 and above certification (including bizSAFE Partner or bizSAFE Mentor).
Before you apply, you may want to read the Enhanced registration renewal criteria for approved crane contractors.
How to apply
To apply to be an approved crane contractor:
- Log in to apply.
- Upload all supporting documents.
- Pay the $150 fee online. Your application will only be processed upon payment.
- (Optional) Log in to check your application status.
You will receive an email notification if your application is successful.
You will need to submit PDF copies of the following documents:
- Copy of business profile lodged with ACRA (Dated within last 6 months)
- Company's training program to instruct crane erectors on following the manufacturer's procedures (Program must be designed by company)
- Letter of Declaration stating company possesses manufacturer's manual, containing instructions on safe procedures for the installation, repair, alteration and dismantling of the cranes.
|Crane erector documents
- Copy of Work Pass / NRIC
- Latest CPF contribution statement OR Letter of declaration that proposed crane erector is currently employed by the company (For Singaporeans and Singapore PRs)
- Brand Specific Certificate approved or conducted by manufacturer for installation, alteration and dismantling of cranes
- Lifting Supervisor Safety Course Certificate
- Rigger and Signalman Course Certificate
- Personal data sheet and track record form - Track record must display chronologically, minimum of 5 years relevant practical experience in installing, altering and dismantling cranes.
- Medical report form for applicants 60 years old and above or if required by the Commissioner.
- Certificate of BCAA generic course for tower cranes installation, alteration and dismantling (Only for crane contractors of tower cranes).
Additional documents for crane repair
You need to submit PDF copies on Letter of authorization from crane manufacturers confirming company is authorized and qualified to repair load-bearing parts of the crane.
All certificates for crane erectors must bear their NRIC, FIN, Work Permit or S Pass number. Passport number is not allowed.
For Singapore citizens and PRs, you need to approach the course provider to reissue the certificate with your NRIC.
For certificates issued with passport number or without identification number, you need to approach the course provider to reissue a certificate using your FIN, Work Permit or S Pass number.