Requirement to equip cranes with data loggers
All mobile cranes registered with MOM on or after 1 August 2015 will have to be equipped with data loggers.
All existing registered mobile cranes registered before 1 August 2015, will be required to be retrofitted with data loggers by 1 August 2018.
This is only applicable to mobile cranes with the following classification codes:
- 601- Mobile Crane - Truck Mounted Variable Boom Length Type
- 602- Mobile Crane - Truck Mounted Fixed Boom Length Type
- 611- Mobile Crane - Crawler Mounted Variable Boom Length Type
- 612- Mobile Crane - Crawler Mounted Fixed Boom Length Type
- 621- Mobile Crane - Wheel Mounted (w/o prime mover) Variable Boom Length Type
- 622- Mobile Crane - Wheel Mounted (w/o prime mover) Fixed Boom Length Type
- 651- Mobile Tower Crane (Horizontal Boom)
- 652- Mobile Tower Crane (Luffing Boom)
Lifting machines under the above classification codes that do not require the installation of a load radius indicator (LRI) will be exempted from data logger requirements.
Requirements of the data logger
The data logger must be able to perform the following functions:
- Detect and record any override key activation for the cranes safety devices, including derricking limiter, over-hoisting limiter and rated capacity limiter.
- Detect and record overloading occurrences (i.e. when load reaches and exceeds 100% of the cranes rated capacity).
- Detect and record status of limit switches, including derricking limiter and over-hoisting limiter.
- Be equipped with data security and anti-tampering feature.
- Download recorded data.
- Generate reports.
The data logger must be able to record the following operational parameters:
- Date and time.
- Crane configuration.
- Permitted load, actual load, percentage of usage of rated capacity (for main hook and auxiliary hook).
- Radius of load.
- Slew angle (applicable to cranes with safe working load that varies according to the slewing angle).
- Main boom angle, fly jib angle (if applicable).
- Boom length, fly jib length (if applicable).
- Sequence of extension (for telescopic cranes).
- Status of limit switches.
- Status of override key activation (for over-derricking limiter, over-hoisting limiter and rated capacity limiter).
In addition, the data logger:
- Must be automatically switched on and be operational whenever the mobile crane is in operation.
- Must be synchronised with the mobile crane as an integrated system without safety implication, undue limitations and restrictions to the crane operation.
- Must have data that is downloadable by interested parties, such as crane owners or occupiers, on a regular basis. The report generated shall be in a readable format that is easily comprehensible.