Skip to main content

Eligibility for Work Permit for performing artiste

Eligible employers can hire foreign performing artistes to work in public entertainment outlets such as bars, hotels and nightclubs.

Who can apply

If you want to hire a foreign performing artiste to work in Singapore, your business must:

  • Have a CAT 1 Public Entertainment Licence issued by the Singapore Police Force.
  • Operate at least 6 hours a day.
  • Be classified as a bar, discotheque, lounge, nightclub, pub, hotel, private club or restaurant.
  • Employ at least one local full-time employee who is making CPF contributions.

Quota and levy

The number of performing artistes that you can hire is limited by a quota and subject to a levy.

You can employ up to 8 foreign performing artistes. Larger outlets can employ up to 12 foreign artistes on a case-by-case basis.

You will also need to pay a foreign worker levy for each artiste, depending on how many you hire:

Number of artistes Monthly levy
First 8 artistes $450
9 and above $750


Source countries
Foreign performing artistes are not subject to source country restriction.

Age when applying
The minimum age for all non-domestic foreign workers is 18 years old.

Maximum period of employment
The maximum duration of the Work Permit for performing artistes is 6 months.

Other restrictions
Foreign performing artistes are not allowed to hold another Work Permit (even for another occupation) for 1 year after they stop work as a performing artiste.