Skip to main content

Higher-skilled worker levy

Upgrading your worker to higher-skilled status will reduce your levy bill. The exact levy rate depends on your sector.

You pay a lower levy for workers with higher-skilled status.

Criteria for higher-skilled worker levy by sector

The requirements your worker must meet to be on the higher-skilled levy rate are different for each sector:

Apply for higher-skilled worker levy

For construction sector

Your worker can get higher-skilled status by completing one of the four upgrading options.

For manufacturing, marine shipyard, process or services sector

  1. Complete and sign the application form for conversion to Higher-Skilled Levy. If your company is in the harbour craft industry, use the application form for conversion to Higher-Skilled Levy (for Harbour Craft industry).
  2. Prepare clear copies of these supporting documents:
    • Worker’s educational or trade test certificates.
    • For diploma or higher qualifications, you need to submit additional documents:
      If worker has Need additional documents
      Diploma or higher qualifications from China

      Certificate of graduation and verification proof.

      Diploma or higher qualifications from other countries Transcript or letter from the institution stating the course duration.
  3. Submit the completed application form and supporting documents using iSubmit. Under Request Type, choose option 9.
For non-English documents, you must submit a copy of the original document and an English translation. The translation can be done by a translation service provider.

Welding trade test for process and marine shipyard sectors

To meet the trade test component of the higher-skilled worker levy criteria, your worker’s welding trade test must be endorsed by any of these institutions: