Upgrading your worker to higher-skilled status will reduce your levy bill. The exact levy rate depends on your sector.
You pay a lower levy for workers with higher-skilled status.
Criteria for higher-skilled worker levy by sector
The requirements your worker must meet to be on the higher-skilled levy rate are different for each sector:
Apply for higher-skilled worker levy
For construction sector
Your worker can get higher-skilled status by completing one of the four upgrading options.
For manufacturing, marine shipyard, process or services sector
- Complete and sign the application form for conversion to Higher-Skilled Levy. If your company is in the harbour craft industry, use the application form for conversion to Higher-Skilled Levy (for Harbour Craft industry).
- Prepare clear copies of these supporting documents:
- Worker’s educational or trade test certificates.
- For diploma or higher qualifications, you need to submit additional documents:
- Submit the completed application form and supporting documents using iSubmit. Under Request Type, choose option 9.
For non-English documents, you must submit a copy of the original document and an English translation. The translation can be done by a translation service provider.
Welding trade test for process and marine shipyard sectors
To meet the trade test component of the higher-skilled worker levy criteria, your worker’s welding trade test must be endorsed by any of these institutions: