Skip to main content

What should the family do if an MDW's employer passes away?

The passing of a loved one is a difficult time for the family. MOM recognises that time is needed to settle the immediate issues.

After that, the family of the employer has to do one of the following:

  • Cancel the Work Permit and send the helper home.
  • Transfer the helper to another employer or a family member.

Cancel Work Permit and send her home

To cancel the helper's Work Permit:

  1. Ensure that all issues arising from the employment, including outstanding wages, have been settled with the helper.
  2. After all issues are settled, family members can either:

Transfer to another employer or a family member

The new employer needs to:

  1. Submit an online Work Permit application.
  2. Buy a new insurance package.

New employers can find out more about the steps to transfer the helper. For the transfer request, we will not require consent from the current employer. 

  • MOM may request for a copy of the employer's death certificate during application or when getting the Work Permit issued.
  • If the employer was 67 years old or above, the levy concession may end.