Skip to main content

If an employee suffers injury or illness while working in hazy conditions, will the worker be eligible for work injury compensation?

Under the Work Injury Compensation Act (WICA), an employee who sustains an illness/injury arising out of and in the course of employment is eligible to claim work injury compensation from his employer.

Employers should notify MOM (through WSH Incident Reporting on the MOM website) if any employee has sustained an illness/injury due to working outdoors during the haze. For cases where the employee is able to recover over time and resume work without permanent ill effects, employers should pay any medical leave wages and medical expenses due directly to the employee.

Last Updated: 17 September 2018