Skip to main content
Service is online

24 hours

Who can use Safe@Work?Show

You can use Safe@Work if you’re an employer of Work Permit, S Pass and Employment Pass holders.

What do I need to log in?Show

You need Corppass. Apply for Corppass if you don’t have one.

Your Corppass administrator’s duties

Your Corppass administrator or sub-administrator must assign your Corppass account:

  1. Log in to Corppass.
  2. Go to the eService Access tab.
  3. Choose MOM ACE Digital Services Corppass as one of your company’s eServices.
  4. Assign MOM ACE Digital Services Corppass to your Corppass account.

For existing Safe@Work users, you will need to add a new e-service ID “MOM ACE Digital Service Corppass” in order to log in to the portal. Refer to the step-by-step user guide for more details.

Why are some of my workers missing in Safe@Work?Show

Safe@Work only shows Work Permit, S Pass and Employment Pass holders with valid work passes employed by your company.

Passes with the following status will not be shown:

  • Cancelled
  • Expired
  • Revoked
  • Not issued

Non-MOM issued passes are also not listed as you don’t need to provide us with their rest day information.

You should log in to WP Online (for Work Permit holders) or EP Online (for S Pass holders) to verify your workers’ pass validity status.

Once you have re-validated your workers passes, you will find their particulars when you log in to Safe@Work.

Why are workers who are not from my company showing under my CPF Submission Number (CSN)?Show

Your workers’ details were extracted from the MOM’s work pass systems.

You should log in to WP Online (for Work Permit holders) or EP Online (for S Pass holders). Use the “Enquire” function to check the list of workers employed by your company.

Why is my company's CPF Submission Number (CSN) not displayed in Safe@Work?Show

Only CSNs of companies in the construction, marine or process sectors are displayed.

If your company belongs to these sectors but is not listed, please contact us.

There are errors in my workers' particulars, such as name, FIN or pass type. How can I fix the errors?Show

To fix the details of your workers’ particulars, you should log in to WP Online (for Work Permit holders) or EP Online (for S Pass holders) and submit a request to make changes.

I can't type in the rest days in the downloaded file as it is password-protected. What is the password?Show

Please use the dropdown field in Column E (“Please indicate rest day”) to indicate your workers’ rest days.

To prevent errors during submission, most of the data in the file should not be edited and are disabled.

Get helpShow

Read the user guide.