At a glance
When to cancel
You need to cancel a Work Permit:
- Within 1 week after the helper’s employment ends before the Work Permit expires.
- When it expires.
Who can cancel
Employer or appointed employment agent (EA).
How long it takes
When levy stops
One day before cancellation.
You need to:
- Agree on the last day of work with your helper.
- Buy a travel ticket for your helper to go home. You must ensure that your helper’s departure date is within 2 weeks after the last day of work.
- Settle all outstanding employment issues, such as paying of wages.
When to cancel
You should cancel your helper’s Work Permit only after her last day of work, but within 1 week after her employment ends or when her Work Permit expires.
If your helper’s last day of work is 1 August, you should cancel her Work Permit on 2 August so that levy will only be charged until 1 August.
You must make arrangements for her to leave Singapore by 16 August.
How to cancel
To cancel a Work Permit:
- Log in to cancel the work permit.
- Print the Special Pass. The Special Pass allows her to legally stay in Singapore before she leaves.
- Give the Special Pass to your helper. She must give it to the immigration officer when leaving Singapore.
You must ensure your helper leaves Singapore as scheduled. The security bond (if applicable) will usually be discharged 1 week after your helper’s departure, and other conditions are met.
Once the Work Permit is cancelled, your helper cannot work, even while waiting to leave Singapore.
Levy will be charged till one day before cancellation.
Return the card
You must return the original Work Permit card within 1 week of cancellation by posting it to Work Pass Division, Ministry of Manpower, 18 Havelock Road, Singapore 059764. You can use WP Online’s “card return” function to:
- Check if we have received the card after you’ve posted it.
- Tell us why you are unable to return the card, e.g. your helper left the country and did not return, misplaced card, etc.