Inquiry Committee into the Explosion at 32E Tuas Avenue 11 to Begin Public Hearings
1. The Inquiry Committee (IC) appointed on 2 March 2021 to inquire into, amongst others, the causes and circumstances that led to the fatal explosion and fire at 32E Tuas Avenue 11 on 24 February 2021, will hold its first tranche of hearings in open court from 20 September to 8 October 2021. The first tranche of public hearings will focus on ascertaining the causes and circumstances of the accident. A second tranche of public hearings will be held from 15 to 19 November 2021 to review recommendations to prevent the recurrence of such accidents.
2. Ten workers were injured in the accident, including three who succumbed to their injuries. The last injured worker was discharged from hospital in June 2021.
Inquiry Committee’s Investigations
3. The IC is chaired by Senior District Judge Mr Ong Hian Sun. He is assisted by two assessors, Er. Lucas Ng Hong Kiang and Dr. Peter Nagler. A team of State Counsel, led by Ms. Kristy Tan, SC, will lead evidence at the hearings.
4. Since the accident, an investigation team from the Ministry of Manpower has been carrying out investigations into the accident, facilitated by State Counsel. These include visiting the site and gathering evidence, identifying and interviewing key witnesses, and commissioning forensic testing and expert simulations for machineries and materials involved in the accident.
5. Fact and expert witnesses are expected to give their testimonies during the first tranche of hearings.
6. All hearings of the IC will be open to members of the public and media. Capacity in the court will be limited in line with Safe Management Measures. The first tranche of public hearings will be conducted from 10am to 5pm at Court 8A of the State Courts on the following dates: 20 to 24 September 2021, 27 September to 1 October 2021, and 4 to 8 October 2021. These dates and timings are indicative and may be subject to change. More details on the second tranche of hearings will be announced at a later date.