Skip to main content

Can my migrant worker pay for their medical treatment if it costs more than the medical insurance payout?

Your worker can co-pay part of the treatment cost that is not covered by the insurance. However, the co-payment arrangement needs to have the worker’s consent that is clearly stated in the employment contract or collective agreement. All the following must also be met:

  • Co-pay amount cannot exceed 10% of the worker’s fixed monthly salary.
  • Co-payment duration must not exceed 6 months (for every 2 years of employment).

If your arrangement is to deduct from workers’ salary, you must also write to MOM to seek permission before making the deduction.

  • You must not pass on the cost of purchasing the medical insurance to your Work Permit or S Pass holders.
  • For work injuries, you must first fulfil your responsibilities under the Work Injury Compensation Act (WICA) before having a co-payment arrangement with your migrant worker.