Skip to main content

Why do I need to get a new security bond when taking over an MDW from my family member?

A security bond is a binding pledge to pay the government (up to $5,000) if you break the security bond conditions. When your migrant domestic worker (MDW) is transferred to another employer, you are discharged from this liability.

If your family member wishes to take over the employment of the MDW from you, they need to take over this liability by purchasing a new bond. This applies even if the new employer is your family member, if you stay at the same address, or if you share the same bank account.