Skip to main content

What should I do if I have a workplace accident and don’t have enough sick leave?

If you suffered an injury due to work, you should claim under Work Injury Compensation Act (WICA). This is separate from the sick leave entitlement under the Employment Act.

Employers are not allowed to deduct medical leave granted for work injuries from employees’ sick leave entitlement under the Employment Act.

In accordance with WICA, you are entitled to:

  • Full average monthly earnings, up to 14 days of outpatient medical leave or light duties, or up to 60 days of hospitalisation leave.
  • 2/3 of your average monthly earnings, payable for the remaining period of your medical leave, light duties, or hospitalisation leave, up to 1 year after the date of your accident.

See what else you can claim under WICA.