Skip to main content

What should I do if I did not receive retrenchment benefit from my company?

The amount of retrenchment benefit depends on what is provided for in the employment contract, memoranda of understanding or collective agreement (for unionised companies). If it is not provided for in the contract, you (or your union) will need to negotiate with your employer.

If you are not paid retrenchment benefit according to your employment contract or collective agreement (for unionised companies), you may file a claim at TADM within 6 months from the last date of employment.

If you are a union member in a unionised company, you may approach your union for help to negotiate an agreement with your employer. If you are a union member in a non-unionised company, you may contact NTUC at 6213 8008 or via their website so that they can assess and help you under the Tripartite Mediation Framework where applicable.

While retrenchment benefit is not mandated by law, MOM strongly encourages employers to adhere to the Tripartite Advisory on Managing Excess Manpower and Responsible Retrenchment (TAMEM), including to provide retrenchment benefit to help affected employees while they search for employment.