Our services centres are open for customers with appointments. Please use our online services (e.g. eServices, web chat, website) or make an appointment if you’re unable to use our digital services. Find out the latest update on work pass services.
Skip to main content

Why do I need a local contact person for my PEP application?

We require a local contact in the event of an emergency. They should be a Singapore citizen or PR at least 21 years old.

They will not be liable for your Personalised Employment Pass (PEP) application in any way.