In view of the COVID-19 situation, there’s no need to visit MOM Services Centre for advisory and transaction services. If you’ve made an appointment with us, we will contact you instead. Our eServices, web chat and hotline remain available. We encourage customers to visit our website for the latest updates, including changes to our work pass services during the Circuit Breaker period.
Skip to main content

When do I need to conduct an asbestos survey?

Asbestos surveys are required for any building work carried out in buildings built before 1 January 1991.

Building work refers to:

  • Demolition of a building.
  • Alteration, addition or repair of a building.

You’ll also need to conduct an asbestos survey if you're conducting work involving any of the specified materials ​in the Workp​lace Safety and Health (Asbestos) Regulations, unless there is documented proof that the material does not contain asbestos.

The specified materials are:

  • Cable penetration insulation
  • ​Fire protection board, panel, wall and door
  • ​Gasket
  • ​Refractory lining
  • ​Sprayed insulation
  • ​Thermal insulation of pipe, boiler, pressure vessel and process vessel