Asbestos surveys are required for any building work carried out in buildings built before 1 January 1991.
Building work refers to:
- Demolition of a building.
- Alteration, addition or repair of a building.
You’ll also need to conduct an asbestos survey if you're conducting work involving any of the specified materials in the Workplace Safety and Health (Asbestos) Regulations, unless there is documented proof that the material does not contain asbestos.
The specified materials are:
- Cable penetration insulation
- Fire protection board, panel, wall and door
- Refractory lining
- Sprayed insulation
- Thermal insulation of pipe, boiler, pressure vessel and process vessel