Skip to main content


Find out what the minimum retirement age is and what to do if you feel you have been unfairly dismissed because of your age.

In accordance with the Retirement and Re-employment Act (RRA), the minimum retirement age is 62 years. Your company cannot ask you to retire before that age.

You have this protection if you:

  • Are a Singapore citizen or Singapore permanent resident.
  • Joined your employer before you turned 55.

Employees who turn 62 can continue to be employed in the organisation if they meet the eligibility criteria of re-employment.

When do I retire

You will retire on the day you turn 62 years.

If you turn 62 on 1 April 2016, your retirement date will be 1 April 2016.

Special Employment Credit to support re-employment

Through the Special Employment Credit (SEC), employers who voluntarily re-employ workers aged 65 and above will receive an additional offset of up to 3% of an employee’s monthly wages.

The SEC enhancement will help employers manage their overall costs and encourage them to voluntarily re-employ older workers aged 65 and above.

To find out more, visit the SEC website.

Unfair dismissal

If you feel you have been unfairly dismissed because of your age, you can appeal in writing to the Minister for Manpower within 1 month of dismissal.

Submitting an appeal

Submit your appeal addressed to the Minister for Manpower via email at

Alternatively, you can send a letter to:

Minister for Manpower
Ministry of Manpower
1500 Bendemeer Road
Singapore 339946

Include the date and subject in the letter.

What to include

In the appeal, include the following personal and employment details:

  • Name
  • NRIC
  • Contact or mobile number
  • Personal email
  • Job position
  • Service period (start date to last day of service)
  • Last drawn salary

Also include information about your case:

  • The reasons your employer gave for the dismissal or termination.
  • Why you think you have been unfairly dismissed or terminated (you can cite specific incidents to support your appeal).
  • Whether your employer has given you notice of dismissal or termination.
  • Relevant documents related to your appeal, such as employment contract, letter of termination.

Note: You must be a Singapore Citizen or Permanent Resident to appeal.

Last Updated: 26 November 2018