Skip to main content

Sick leave in special situations

Your sick leave entitlements may be affected in different situations, such as during non-working days, while serving notice and if your MC is from a private doctor.

Find out your sick leave entitlements under these scenarios.

During non-working days, holidays and annual leaveShow

You are not eligible to apply for paid sick leave if you fall sick during:

  • Rest days
  • Public holidays
  • Non-working days
  • Annual leave
  • Unpaid leave

If you fall sick while on annual leave, you may discuss with your employer whether you can cancel your annual leave and take sick leave instead.

An employee is given 2 days of sick leave for 8 and 9 August. Because one day falls on a public holiday, he is only counted as having taken 1 day of sick leave.

During a half working dayShow

Sick leave taken on a half working day (e.g. Saturday) should be considered as one day's sick leave.

While serving noticeShow

If you are serving your resignation notice, you are still entitled to paid sick leave as long as you meet the eligibility criteria.

Your entitlement depends on your length of service:

  • For 6 months or more of service: you have the full entitlement.
  • For 3 to 6 months of service: your sick leave will be pro-rated.

If you take sick leave (paid or unpaid) while serving notice, it is treated as part of the notice period.

Learn more about how leave affects the notice period.

MCs from a overseas doctor or traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) practitionerShow

Many employers grant paid sick leave for medical certificates (MCs) issued by an overseas doctor or TCM practitioner. They have the discretion to do so.

You may want to refer to your employment contract or check with your employer on your company’s practices.

In any case, you should still be excused from work based on your MC.

If you run out of sick leaveShow

If you are sick but have used up all your sick leave, your employer can:

  • Allow you to go on extended no-pay leave for an agreed period.
  • Make other working arrangements that are acceptable to both of you, such as re-assigning your duties.
  • Obtain a medical assessment of whether you can continue working.

If you don’t have an MC, you should check your employment contract on your medical benefits for the reimbursement of medical consultation fees.

If you are unfit to workShow

If a doctor certifies that you are unfit to continue working, your employer can terminate your services after giving due notice, or pay in lieu of notice. Your employer can compensate you for your termination in one of these ways:

  • Based on what is provided for in the employment contract.
  • By making a payment to you based on goodwill.