Skip to main content

Work Injury Compensation Claims is Based on Doctor's Assessment

  • Lianhe Zaobao (14 August 2009) : Work Injury Compensation Claims is Based on Doctor's Assessment
  • Lianhe Zaobao (23 July 2009) : Concerns of a China foreign worker
  • Lianhe Zaobao (30 July 2009) : MOM should be informed about workplace accidents


Work Injury Compensation Claims is Based on Doctor's Assessment 
- Lianhe Zaobao, 14 August 2009

      We refer to the letters by Mr Wang Qiang ("Concerns of a China foreign worker", 23 July 2009) and Mr Ming Ying Shao ("MOM should be informed about workplace accidents", 30 July 2009).

2.   We wish to clarify that Mr Wang was injured in a workplace accident in July 2008, and not in 2007. The accident was reported to the Ministry and we had then assisted Mr Wang to file a claim for work injury compensation. He was assessed by a doctor to have sustained 1% permanent incapacity and was awarded a compensation amount of $1,420. No party, including Mr Wang, disputed the assessment then. The compensation was accordingly paid out to Mr Wang and the claim was settled by December 2008.

3.   Regulations are in place to protect workers like Mr Wang. Under the Employment of Foreign Manpower Act, employers are responsible for their foreign workers' upkeep and maintenance, including the cost of medical treatment. They are also required to purchase and maintain insurance for the medical expenses of their foreign workers. With regards to Mr Wang's claim that he has to pay for medical expenses, we advise Mr Wang to contact MOM for assistance if he was asked to bear the cost of his medical treatment.

4.   Employers are also required to report workplace accidents to MOM under the Workplace Safety and Health (Incident Reporting) Regulations. Employees who are injured in a work-related accident can claim medical leave wages, medical expenses and compensation for permanent incapacity from their employers, under the Work Injury Compensation Act. Such claims are expeditiously processed according to an established and fair system, based on a medical assessment of the extent of injuries or permanent incapacity sustained by the claimant.

5.   Workers who encounter problems with work injury compensation or employment claims can approach MOM for assistance and advice. Those who spot unsafe work practices at their workplace should report to their management or call the MOM safety hotline at (65)6317-1111.


Concerns of a China foreign worker
- Lianhe Zaobao, 23 July 2009

A Chinese national wrote to ZB to express his woes in coming to Singapore to work as a foreign worker. He lamented that the first two years of working has been to pay off the debts that he had incurred in his home country to come to work in Singapore.

He also complained about having to foot his own medical bill even though he is working in a high-risk environment – in a metal recycling firm. He added that he has recently received more than $1,000 work injury compensation.

He does not hope for the authorities to solve his problem, but would like employers of foreign workers to take care of their workers so that they can be more productive.


MOM should be informed about workplace accidents
- Lianhe Zaobao, 30 July 2009

A ZB writer referred to a 23 July ZB letter where a PRC worker said that his finger was shorter by 1.5cm after a workplace accident and received more than $1,000 work injury compensation. The writer said that workplace accidents have to be reported to MOM and the insurance companies will make the necessary payments to the workers after the medical assessment of the injury.

He felt that the $1,000 compensation is insufficient to cover the injury that the PRC worker sustained. He said that if the PRC worker did not receive a cheque issued by the insurance company, it is likely that his company did not report his injury to MOM and the insurance company. He urged the PRC worker to lodge a complaint with MOM if this is really the case.