Businesses may proceed with larger work-related events after notifying authorities
On 14 Dec 2021, the Multi-Ministry Taskforce announced that the government will raise the capacity for Work-Related Events (WREs) which are generally static in nature.
2 Currently, Work-Related Events are allowed subject to a cap of 50 participants and any meals being incidental. These are meant for events such as corporate / board retreats, staff training or Annual General Meetings.
Capacity for WRE to increase to 1,000 participants
3 From 3 Jan 2022, we will allow larger Work-Related Events of between 51 and 1,000 participants, subject to the following conditions:
(a) The event is mask-on only. In particular, there must be no consumption of meals or beverages.
(b) Participants are predominantly static (seated or standing in a fixed position).
(c) Participants are subjected to vaccination-differentiated Safe Management Measures.
(d) Participants maintain at least one metre safe distance between one another and must be in zones of up to 100 persons per zone, with two metres between zones.
4 Organisers of such larger WREs need only notify the authorities via an online form (https://go.gov.sg/submit-wre-mice).
5 This change will give businesses more flexibility to organise WREs, such as an employee townhall or awards ceremony. The authorities will perform spot-checks for such WREs and enforcement actions will be taken against businesses who flout the rules.
Approval for MICE events required
6 MICE events such as large-scale meetings, conferences, trade shows and exhibitions where more interactions between participants are expected will continue to require approval from MTI before they can proceed as per existing requirement. Businesses can use the same form to apply for approval to hold MICE events (https://go.gov.sg/submit-wre-mice). To help organisers assess if their intended event is a MICE event or a large WRE, the online form will contain a series of guiding questions.
7 The SMM requirements for the WREs and MICE can be found in Annexes A and B.
8 We urge employers and employees to adhere to the latest guidelines and ensure that SMMs are properly implemented. This will reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission at the workplace. More information can be found at https://go.gov.sg/smm.
Annex A – Updated Safe Management Measures for Work-Related Events
Safe Management Measures
≤ 50 participants
- Not required to notify or seek approval from the authorities
- Participants must maintain at least one-metre safe distance between one another.
- Meals should not be the main feature of the event, i.e. they should only be served if incidental to the workplace event. The food must be served individually with the participants seated while consuming. Participants should minimise the time that they are unmasked while eating.
- Work-related events held at third-party venues will also be subject to any additional premises owners’ safe management policies.
51 – 1,000 participants
- The event organiser must notify the authorities before the event, to facilitate enforcement checks by the authorities (https://go.gov.sg/submit-wre-mice)
- Participants must maintain at least one-metre safe distance between one another. Participants must be in zones of up to 100 persons per zone, with two metres between zones.
- There must be no mask-off activities during the event, such as the consumption of food and beverage.
- The event must be static, with participants predominantly seated or standing in a fixed position (e.g. meetings, conferences).
- All participants must be subject to Vaccination-Differentiated Safe Management Measures, i.e. every participant must be fully vaccinated, recovered from COVID-19 within the past 180 days, or medically ineligible for vaccines under the National Vaccination Programme.
Annex B – Safe Management Measures for MICE Events
Safe Management Measures for MICE events with 51 - 1,000 participants
- The event organiser must submit an application for MTI’s approval (https://go.gov.sg/submit-wre-mice). Event Organizers may only proceed with the MICE event upon MTI’s written approval.
- All MICE events SMMs must be adhered to, including maintaining at least one-metre safe distance between one another. Participants must be in zones of up to 100 persons per zone, with two metres between zones.
- Meals must not be the main feature of the event. When F&B is served, participants must be at least one metre apart and the number of participants in each group for meal must not exceed five. Participants must remain at the same table where a meal is consumed throughout the meal duration.
- All participants must be subject to Vaccination-Differentiated Safe Management Measures; i.e. every participants must be fully vaccinated, recovered from COVID-19 within the past 180 days, or medically ineligible for vaccines under the National Vaccination Programme.
For further queries, please contact:
Ministry of Manpower