Government accepts recommendations for basic wage increase and mandatory bonus for landscape maintenance workers from 2020
- The Government has considered and accepted the recommendations in the Tripartite Cluster for Landscape Industry (TCL)1 report released today. The TCL recommended yearly adjustments and a schedule of increases to the Progressive Wage Model (PWM) basic wage levels from 2020 to 2025, as well as the introduction of a mandatory PWM Bonus for the landscape maintenance sub-sector from 20202. These recommendations will benefit around 3,000 resident landscape maintenance employees.
- The recommendations in the TCL’s report are part of the efforts of tripartite partners to ensure that wages increase in tandem with the skills, productivity and job responsibility of employees in the sub-sector. Since 30 June 2016, complying with the PWM has been a mandatory requirement for landscape companies registering for the National Parks Board (NParks) Landscape Company Register.
Implementation Timelines for TCL’s Recommendations
- The recommendations by the TCL will be implemented according to the following timelines:
a) Yearly Adjustments to PWM Basic Wage Levels from 2020 to 2022
- The TCL recommended a total increase of $350 to the PWM basic wage levels across all PWM job roles, starting with an increase of $150 in July 2020, followed by an increase of $100 per year in July 2021 and July 2022.
To allow sufficient lead time for landscape companies and service buyers to incorporate the wage adjustments in their new service contracts, the implementation of the yearly adjustments to the PWM basic wage levels will take effect from 1 July 2020. This is in line with the schedule of PWM wages in the cleaning sector.
b) Schedule of Increases to PWM Basic Wage Levels from 2023 to 2025
- The recommended annual increment of minimum 3% (subject to review) to the PWM basic wage level across all PWM job roles will be implemented from July 2023 to July 2025. This is consistent with the schedules of increases of the Cleaning and Security PWMs that were previously agreed upon by the respective tripartite clusters.
c) Mandatory PWM Bonus from 2020
- The mandatory PWM Bonus to be paid to Singapore Citizen and Permanent Resident landscape maintenance employees will be implemented from 2020. It would apply to those who have worked with the same employer for at least 12 months as at the cut-off date of bonus computation.
- Please refer to the Tripartite Cluster for Landscape Industry Report for more information.