Skip to main content

7 in 10 Assisted Retrenched Locals Found New Jobs Within Six Months

Taskforce for Responsible Retrenchment and Employment Facilitation releases first report card

In 2017, seven out of ten retrenched locals assisted by the Taskforce for Responsible Retrenchment and Employment Facilitation found jobs within six months.

  1. A total of 9,120 locals were retrenched from 1,247 companies in 2017. The Taskforce reached out to all retrenched locals, whose contact details were available, to provide information on employment facilitation. One in four took up the Taskforce’s offer of employment assistance, which includes job matching. Those who did not, cited reasons such as choosing to find employment on their own or taking a break from work.

    Companies providing retrenchment benefits1
  2. Similar to previous years, the majority (90%) of retrenching companies paid retrenchment benefits to eligible2 local employees in 2017. The proportion of establishments that paid retrenchment benefits by years of service has risen, with better economic conditions. Among the remaining minority (10%) of companies which did not pay retrenchment benefits, one key reason cited was financial constraints.

    Retrenchment-related disputes
  3. In 2017, there were 74 cases3 of retrenchment-related disputes from employees. Majority of the cases involved appeals over the quantum of retrenchment benefits while some involved alleged discriminatory retrenchment practices. All 74 cases of retrenchment-related issues were resolved through mediation, adjudication or engagements with employers. On the whole, these cases account for a small proportion of the total number of employees retrenched in 2017.
  4. Commenting on the Taskforce’s work in 2017, Taskforce Chairman and Chief Executive of Workforce Singapore (WSG), Mr Tan Choon Shian noted that the mandatory retrenchment notifications have given the Taskforce timelier and more complete information on retrenchments to help affected locals find new jobs. He added, “Many of the jobseekers that were placed, as well as their hiring companies, made use of WSG’s Adapt and Grow programmes and services to facilitate the matches. It was important that such individuals and employers kept open mindsets and were prepared to accept potential recruits or hiring opportunities that may not have seemed like obvious fits in the first instance.”
  5. Mr Tan also acknowledged the efforts of retrenching employers which ensured that the needs of their affected workers were fairly addressed, as well as the unions who gave support to such individuals. He said, “The Taskforce will continue to educate companies on responsible retrenchment practices, and improve our outreach and assistance to retrenched locals to help them secure gainful employment opportunities.”


 

FOOTNOTE

  1. Based on Retrenchment Benefits Survey 2017, Manpower Research & Statistics Department, MOM.
  2. Refers to employees with at least two years of service.
  3. These 74 cases were individual employees’ retrenchment-related disputes received by MOM, the Tripartite Alliance for Dispute Management (TADM) and the Tripartite Alliance for Fair and Progressive Employment Practices (TAFEP).
Last Updated: 19 September 2018