Tripartite Advisory on Managing Workplace Harassment
- The Ministry of Manpower (MOM), National Trades Union Congress (NTUC), and Singapore National Employers Federation (SNEF), have jointly issued a Tripartite Advisory on Managing Workplace Harassment to help employers and employees prevent and manage workplace harassment.
- After the Protection from Harassment Act (POHA)1 was passed by Parliament in March 2014, a Tripartite Workgroup on Prevention of Harassment at the Workplace, which comprises stakeholders from the Government, unions, employers, HR professionals and subject matter experts (see Annex for the tripartite workgroup’s members), was set up to develop the Advisory. In drafting the Advisory, the tripartite workgroup also sought the views of the Association of Women for Action and Research (AWARE), Singapore Council of Women’s Organisations (SCWO) and Migrant Workers’ Centre (MWC).
- Both employers and employees have an interest and responsibility in preventing harassment at the workplace and managing it properly if it happens. The Advisory provides guidance to employers and employees on preventive measures to adopt to ensure a safe and conducive workplace. It also recommends proactive management and remedial actions that employers and affected persons can take if harassment occurs at the workplace.
- The tripartite partners and workgroup members will actively promote the adoption of the good practices recommended in the Advisory. SNEF has developed a course for employers on ‘Prevention and Addressing Workplace Bullying and Harassment’. Affected persons who require assistance and support can refer to the resources provided in the Advisory.
- For more information on preventing and managing workplace harassment, employers may contact:
Singapore National Employers Federation (SNEF)
Tel: (65) 6290 7692
Tripartite Alliance for Fair and Progressive Employment Practices (TAFEP)
Online Enquiry via this link: https://www.tafep.sg/contact-us
For more information on workplace harassment issues, affected persons may contact:
Ministry of Manpower (MOM)
MOM Contact Centre, Tel: (65) 6438 5122
Online Enquiry via this link: http://www.mom.gov.sg/feedback
National Trades Union Congress (NTUC)
Tel: (65) 6213 8008
The Legal Aid Bureau
Tel: 1800 2255 529
More resources are provided in the Advisory.
1 The POHA was introduced by the Ministry of Law in 2014 to provide civil and criminal recourse to better protect individuals from harassment and related anti-social behaviour. For more information, the public may refer to: