Singapore Confers Prestigious Honorary Citizen Award on Mr Ratan N. Tata and Tan Sri Frank Tsao
Singapore will be honouring Mr Ratan N. Tata, Chairman of Tata Sons Ltd, and Tan Sri Frank Tsao Wen-King, Senior Chairman of IMC Group, with the 2007 Honorary Citizen Award for their valuable contributions to the country.
2. The award is the highest form of recognition given by the Singapore Government for outstanding contributions to the country's growth and development. It is conferred on those who have made a significant impact in the areas of business, science and technology, information communications, education, health, arts and culture, sports, tourism, community services or security.
3. Mr Wong Kan Seng, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Home Affairs, said, "Singapore welcomes global talent who can add value to Singapore. Mr Tata and Tan Sri Tsao are exemplary business leaders who have helped propel Singapore's economy, making significant and extensive contributions to the development and diversity of our country. The award is a reflection of Singapore's gratitude for their valuable contributions."
About Mr Ratan N. Tata
4. Mr Tata has had a long association with Singapore and is a strong advocate of the country. He was instrumental in expanding and diversifying Tata's operations in Singapore from steel manufacturing to information technology, from precision engineering to auto components, and others. Over the years, Mr Tata's business acumen has helped Singapore tap into higher value-added growth sectors.
5. On being named Honorary Citizen, Mr Tata said, “I am deeply honoured to receive the Honorary Citizen Award from the Singapore Government and I am pleased to have been able to play a small role in the development of Singapore's economy. It is not only a privilege for me, but also for the Tata Group. I want to take this opportunity to thank Singapore for her support and may our future collaborations bring forth greater synergies.”
About Tan Sri Frank Tsao
6. Tan Sri Tsao has played a pivotal role in shaping the growth of the maritime industry and in promoting maritime education and research. In particular, Tan Sri Tsao has been a strong advocate for Singapore, championing its development as an international maritime centre. Under his directions, IMC moved its operational headquarters and bulk shipping operations to Singapore in the early nineties.
7. “I am very pleased and honoured to receive this highly prestigious award. Singapore has become a very important maritime hub and IMC has grown along with it. The conducive environment in Singapore has enabled IMC's businesses to thrive. I am glad to play my part in the development of Singapore's prominent position on the global maritime map. This would not have been possible without the strong support of the Singapore Government, industry players and other institutions, and I share this award with them,” said Tan Sri Tsao.
8. This is the fifth year Singapore is conferring the Honorary Citizen Award. President S R Nathan will confer the Honorary Citizen Award on the two recipients at a ceremony to be held at the Istana on 29 August 2008.
9. The fact sheet on the Honorary Citizen Award and biographies of the recipients are attached in Annex A.
FACT SHEET ON THE HONORARY CITIZEN AWARD 2007
About the Honorary Citizen Award
The title of Honorary Citizen is a national award conferred by the Singapore Government to recognise and acknowledge the contributions of foreigners who have rendered extensive and valuable services to Singapore and its people, or who have made a significant impact in the areas of business, science and technology, information communications, education, health, arts and culture, sports, tourism, community services or security.
Honorary Citizen Award recipients 2007
Honorary Citizen Award recipients 2006
- Mr Lee R. Raymond
Retired Chairman and CEO, Exxon Mobil Corporation
- Dr Heinrich von Pierer
Chairman of the Supervisory Board, Siemens AG
Honorary Citizen Award recipients 2005
- Dr Tsutomu Kanai
Chairman Emeritus, Hitachi, Ltd.
- Dr Robert A. Brown
President, Boston University
Honorary Citizen Award recipients 2004
- Sir Richard Brook Sykes
Rector of Imperial College London
- Mr Lodewijk Christiaan Van Wachem
Former President, Royal Dutch/Shell; Chairman of the Supervisory Board, Royal Philips Electronics; Chairman of the Board, Global Crossing Ltd; and Chairman of the Board, Zurich Financial Services and Zurich Insurance Company.
Honorary Citizen Award recipients 2003
- Dr Sydney Brenner
Distinguished Research Professor of the Salk Institute in USA
2002 Nobel Prize recipient
- Mr Pasquale Pistorio
President and CEO, STMicroelectronics