Foreign Domestic Worker (FDW) Employer Fined for Failing to Pay Salaries
Zubaidah Bte Sanluan, employer of a foreign domestic worker (FDW), was convicted and fined $4,500 in Court on 11 February 2008 for failing to pay the salary of her FDW; and for making a false declaration to the Controller of Work Permits. Zubaidah will also be barred from employing another FDW.
Facts of the Case
2. In April 2007, investigations by the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) revealed that an FDW had not been paid her monthly salary since she started work in January 2001. Investigations also revealed that the FDW's employer, Zubaidah falsely declared that she had paid her salary when renewing her Work Permit in January 2007.
3. With MOM's intervention, salary arrears amounting to $19,398 for an employment period of six years and two months were eventually paid to the FDW.
Failure to Pay Salary is an Offence
4. Aw Kum Cheong, Divisional Director, Foreign Manpower Management Division, MOM, said, “All employers of foreign workers, including FDWs are required under the Work Permit conditions to pay salaries to their workers on time. We would also like to remind employers that they should not withhold the salaries of their workers on the pretext of safekeeping their salaries. The Ministry will prosecute errant employers.”
5. It is an offence under the Employment of Foreign Manpower Act (EFMA) for employers not to pay their FDWs within seven days of their salary period. If found guilty, the employer can be fined up to $5,000, and/ or jailed up to six months. Errant employers will also be barred from employing another FDW.
6. In 2007, the Ministry helped to recover more than $270,000 in unpaid salaries for 276 FDWs. Since 2007, three FDW employers1 have also been convicted for failing to pay the salaries of their FDWs.
7. The Ministry urges FDWs who are not paid their salaries to seek assistance early by contacting MOM's FDW hotline at (65)1800 339 5505.
On 31 Oct 2007, Yeo Boey Hiang was fined $2,500 for failing to pay the salaries of her FDW, totalling $6,340. On 8 January 2008, Ravichandran s/o Ghandhi Raju was fined $2,500 for failing to pay his FDW for 14 months, amounting to $2,204.