Convening of Second Meeting International Advisory Panel for Workplace Safety and Health
The International Advisory Panel (IAP) for Workplace Safety and Health (WSH) will convene its second meeting on 30 - 31 October 2008. The IAP was formed in 2006 for Singapore to tap on the expertise and experience of international experts to raise WSH standards. The IAP is chaired by the Acting Minister for Manpower, Mr Gan Kim Yong, and co-chaired by Senior Parliamentary Secretary for Health and Manpower, Mr Hawazi Daipi. The IAP comprises renowned WSH experts with wide-ranging regulatory and industry experience. Two new members – Dr Park Doo Yong and Dr Jorma Rantanen – have been invited for this second meeting. Please see Annex for the profiles of these international experts.
2. The terms of reference for the IAP are to:
- Advise on significant trends and developments in industrial practices that would impact on WSH in Singapore;
- Share approaches to WSH challenges in other countries that might guide Singapore's WSH development; and
- Critique WSH standards, practices and the regulatory regime in Singapore and provide advice on possible improvements to bring WSH standards in Singapore to the level of leading edge country leaders.
3. At the second meeting, the IAP will discuss:
- WSH developments in Singapore since the inaugural IAP meeting in 2006; and
- Strategies to build WSH competencies and improve Workplace Health management in Singapore.