Most customers use our digital services (e.g. eServices, web chat, website) to find out about the latest work pass requirements. If you’re unable to do so, you can make an appointment to visit our services centres.
Skip to main content

Why do FDW employers need to buy personal accident insurance (PAI) for their FDWs?

Unlike other workers, FDWs are excluded from the Workman Injury Compensation Act (WICA).

FDWs are employed by households and they work and live in the same premises, making it difficult to determine whether any injury sustained in the premises was due to work-related activities.

Thus, in lieu of WICA, FDW employers must buy personal accident insurance (PAI) for their FDWs.

The PAI provides compensation to the FDWs in the event of permanent disablement or death, regardless of whether or not the accident was work-related.