Skip to main content

What is the difference between medical insurance and personal accident insurance for my domestic helper?

MDW employers are required to buy and maintain medical insurance to cover inpatient care and day surgery, including hospital bills for conditions that may not be work-related. 

The personal accident insurance (PAI), however, provides a lump sum compensation to the MDWs or their next of kin if the MDW suffers from permanent disability or passes away due to an accident. The required minimum sum assured for PAI is $60,000 from 1 October 2017.

Read more information about insurance requirements for MDW.