No. You don’t need to engage an Approved Asbestos-Removal Contractor (AARC) to clean asbestos roof or paint over asbestos materials.
However, as such work will disturb the asbestos materials, contractors carrying out the work are required to:
- Include asbestos hazard in their risk assessment.
- Ensure workers are trained on asbestos hazard.
- Provide workers with respiratory protection.
- Prepare safe work procedure to include measures to minimize the release or spread of asbestos.
- Prepare contingency plan if asbestos materials are broken during the course of work.
If you are not sure, you can engage an AARC to carry out such work.