At a glance
When to cancel
You need to cancel a Work Permit:
- Within 1 week after the worker’s employment ends before the Work Permit expires.
- When it expires.
Who can cancel
Employer or appointed employment agent (EA).
How long it takes
Within 3 working days.
When levy stops
One day before cancellation.
You need to:
- Buy a travel ticket for the worker to go home. For non-Malaysians, ensure that the scheduled departure date is within 1 week after employment ends.
- Settle all outstanding employment issues, such as paying of wages.
- Seek tax clearance from the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore (IRAS) at least one month before the worker leaves the job.
When to cancel
You should cancel the worker’s Work Permit only after the last day of work, but within 1 week after the employment ends or when the Work Permit expires.
If the worker’s last day of work is 1 August, you should cancel the Work Permit on 2 August so that levy will only be charged until 1 August.
You must make arrangements for the worker to leave Singapore by 8 August.
How to cancel
To cancel a Work Permit:
- Log in to WP Online and cancel the Work Permit.
- Print the acknowledgement letter and Special Pass. The Special Pass allows the worker to legally stay in Singapore before leaving.
- Give the acknowledgement letter and Special Pass to the worker. The worker must give the Special Pass to the immigration officer when leaving Singapore.
You must ensure the worker leaves as scheduled. For non-Malaysians, the security bond will usually be discharged 1 week after the worker’s departure, and other conditions are met.
When the Work Permit is cancelled, the worker cannot work, even while waiting to leave Singapore.
Levy will be charged until one day before cancellation.
Return the card
You must return the original Work Permit card within 1 week of cancellation by posting it to Work Pass Division, Ministry of Manpower, 18 Havelock Road, Singapore 059764. You can use WP Online’s “card return” function to:
- Check if we have received the card.
- Tell us why you are unable to return the card.