At a glance
When to cancel
You need to cancel a Work Permit:
- Within 1 week after the worker’s employment ends.
- When it expires.
Who can cancel
Employer or appointed employment agent (EA).
How long it takes
Within 3 working days.
When levy stops
||1 day before cancellation.
You need to:
- Seek tax clearance from the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore (IRAS) at least 1 month before the worker leaves the job.
- Settle all outstanding employment issues, such as paying of salary.
- Buy an air ticket to send the worker to the international airport in the home country, nearest to the hometown. The worker's departure date must be within 1 week after the cancellation.
When to cancel
You must cancel the Work Permit within 1 week after the last day of employment (if notice applies, this refers to the last day of the notice period) or when the Work Permit expires.
If the worker completes the notice on 1 August, you should cancel the Work Permit on 2 August. The levy will be charged until 1 August.
You must make arrangements for the worker to leave Singapore by 9 August.
How to cancel
To cancel a Work Permit:
- Log in to WP Online and cancel the Work Permit.
- Print the acknowledgement letter and Special Pass. The Special Pass allows the worker to legally stay in Singapore before leaving.
- Give the acknowledgement letter and Special Pass to the worker. The worker must give the Special Pass to the immigration officer when leaving Singapore.
You must ensure the worker leaves as scheduled. For non-Malaysians, the security bond will usually be discharged 1 week after the worker’s departure, and other conditions are met.
Once the Work Permit is cancelled, the worker cannot work, even while waiting to leave Singapore.
Levy will be charged until 1 day before the cancellation.
Return the card
You must return the original Work Permit card within 1 week of the cancellation by posting it to Work Pass Division, Ministry of Manpower, 18 Havelock Road, Singapore 059764. You can use WP Online’s “card return” function to:
- Check if we have received the card.
- Tell us why you are unable to return the card.