Work Permit (Foreign Worker) - Cancellation & Renewal
Renewal of Work Permit
Employers can login to WP Online to:
- Retrieve the list of workers eligible for renewal, six to eight weeks before their Work Permits expire; and
- Print the online renewal notice(s) & application form(s) or duplicates (if you lost/misplaced it) for the worker(s) they wish to renew. Click the 'Check Renewable/Non-renewable' List function in WP Online
With the renewal notice(s) and application form(s), the employer or employment agency may then proceed to renew the Work Permit(s) via WP Online.
As for those who are not eligible to renew, information can be found here.
What if I am unable to renew the Work Permit in time?
You can request for a short extension of the Work Permit if the renewal cannot be submitted in time (e.g. the worker is waiting for a new passport). This can be done online using the 'Special Pass / Short Work Permit Extension' function in WP Online.
The same function can be used if you need the worker to continue to work for a short period beyond the Work Permit expiry date (before he/she is sent home). However, you must remember to cancel the Work Permit before the worker is sent home. The cancellation request should be submitted using WP Online, on or before the extended date.
Before renewing the Work Permit
Please take note of the following information before renewing the Work Permit:
Note: There are instances where MOM does not grant two years upon renewal of the worker's Work Permit. This happens when the validity of the worker's (a) passport or
(g) Banker's or Insurance Guarantee is less than two years. Click here for more information.
- Validity of passport
A foreign worker's passport should be valid for at least seven months from the expiry date of the Work Permit.
- Medical examination
Refer to the renewal notice and application form for prerequisite medical examination (if any). The foreign worker must undergo and pass the medical examination.
- Dependency ceiling
The company should have sufficient full-time local workers to meet the prevailing dependency ceiling.
- Validity of prior approvals
Valid prior approvals must be secured for:
- Companies in the Construction or Process industries
(Applicable to Work Permit renewal of foreign workers from non-traditional sources (NTS) or People’s Republic of China (PRC)); and
- Non-sponsoring shipyards and common contractors in the Marine industry
(Applicable to Work Permit renewal of foreign workers from non-traditional sources (NTS) or People’s Republic of China (PRC) with Work Permits expiring on or after 1 May 2009).
- Work Permit renewal notice and application form
The Work Permit renewal notice and application form should be completed.
- Security bond
The security bond form for non-Malaysian foreign workers should be completed. The form must be signed by the partner or sole proprietor of the company.
For Private Limited companies, it must be signed by a member on the Board of Directors or the General Manager. The signatory's name must appear in the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA) printout. If signed by any other persons than the above, an authorisation letter from a member on the Board of Directors will be required.
- Security deposit
Companies are to furnish a new security deposit or extend the existing security deposit for non-Malaysian foreign workers.
- A new security deposit of $5,000 in a Banker's or Insurance Guarantee must be submitted to the Controller of Work Passes. It must be valid for 26 months. Alternatively, the existing Banker’s or Insurance Guarantee may be extended.
- For the extension of the existing Banker's or Insurance Guarantee, the bank or insurance company should transmit information to Work Pass Division using the same Guarantee Number and for the same foreign worker/existing group of foreign workers. A new security bond Form is not required if the existing Banker's or Insurance Guarantee is used.
- The Work Permit will only be renewed up to two months before the Banker's or Insurance Guarantee's expiry date, subject to other employment criteria.
- The bank or insurance company must transmit the Banker's or Insurance Guarantee details successfully to the Work Pass Division before the e-renewal of the Work Permit. This can be done online once the renewal notice is available via WP Online. The effective date of the Banker's or Insurance Guarantee can be:
- On or before the day of renewal of the Work Permit; or
- Post-dated up to one day after the expiry date of the existing Work Permit.
(For example, if the Work Permit expires on 17 December 2013, the effective date of the Banker's or Insurance Guarantee should be 18 December 2013).
- Medical insurance
A new medical insurance policy must be provided for the renewal of the Work Permit. Alternatively, the existing medical insurance can be renewed.
For medical insurance policies taken up or renewed on or after 1 January 2010, the insurance coverage must be at least $15,000 per year for each foreign worker's inpatient care and day surgery. The medical insurance may be purchased from the bank or insurance company that provides the Banker's or Insurance Guarantee for the security deposit.
- Long Term Visit Pass
Long Term Visit Pass holders must extend their passes before their Work Permits are renewed.
Validity period and foreign worker's maximum employment period
The validity period for a Work Permit is generally two years.
However, it will be shorter if:
|The Work Permit will be given until:
|The worker's passport expires in less than two years
||one month before the passport expires
|The Banker's or Insurance Guarantee's (BG/IG) validity is less than 26 months
||two months before the security deposit expires
|Note: To get a full two year duration, you must renew or extend the validity of your worker’s passport and BG/IG before you renew the Work Permit. Embassies may impose requirements on the renewal of passports.
Other factors affecting the validity period
The period granted will also be subject to the validity of the Prior Approval (if applicable) and the worker's maximum employment period, whichever is shorter.
Maximum employment period
|Classification of Foreign Workers
||Maximum Employment Period in Singapore
||Maximum Age Limit
|Higher Skilled/Skilled foreign workers from NTS/PRC
||Marine, Construction, Process Construction and Maintenace
||Up to 60 years old
|All other sectors
|Basic skilled/Unskilled foreign workers from NTS/PRC
|All foreign workers from NAS and Malaysia
*Employers who wish to employ their basic skilled/unskilled foreign workers beyond the maximum employment period may enrol them for trade tests relevant to their industries.
Renewing the Work Permit
Follow these steps to renew the Work Permit:
Step 1: Renew online
Work Permit renewals can be submitted via WP Online. Please ensure that the Work Permit is still valid at the time of application.
Submission of renewal requests via WP Online is only available from 8am - 8pm (Monday to Friday), 8am - 2pm (Saturday), excluding public holidays. You can view the outcome of your request immediately after submission.
What you need to get ready before proceeding with renewal of Work Permit?
1. A local delivery address and authorized contact person(s) for us to send an SMS or email alert with the card delivery details to the authorized contact person(s) before we deliver the Work Permit card to the address provided.
2. Clear, correct and completed scanned copies in PDF file format of the following for our verification:
- Personal particulars page of the foreign worker’s current passport/travel document, including amendment page(s) (if any)
- Work Permit renewal application form
- Security bond form
(this is not the letter of guarantee your insurer or bank gave you)
You may be asked to upload more or fewer documents during online renewal depending on what you have entered and that online submission of documents is only available where fingerprint and face-imaging registration are not required.
Step 2: Payment of fees
The following fees must be paid to complete the renewal request. You can do so using GIRO (for existing GIRO user), eNETS Credit or Debit.
||Work Permit – $30 per renewal
Step 3: Getting the Work Permit card
The new Work Permit card will be delivered within seven working days after successful documents verification. An SMS or email will be sent to the contact person at least a day before the card is delivered.
After receiving the new Work Permit card, the employer or authorised employment agency has to return existing Work Pass card by mailing it to the Work Pass Division, Ministry of Manpower, 18 Havelock Road, Singapore 059764
What if the Foreign Worker is not eligible for renewal?
An appeal can be submitted if the employer would like to continue employing the worker. Before submitting the appeal, log on the WP Online to see why MOM is unable to allow a renewal.
How to appeal
All appeals should be submitted using iSubmit. Select option 7: Issuance & Renewal Matters and attach the electronic/scanned copies of the supporting documents, if any.
It will take us at least three weeks to process the appeal, depending on the complexity of the case.
We do expect you to send in your appeal early as priorities will not be given to the worker whose permit is expiring or has expired. You must ensure that the worker has a valid pass to remain in Singapore. If the worker does not, you will be fined.