Skip to main content

Contracts and safety agreement for foreign domestic worker

You are encouraged to sign an employment contract with your foreign domestic worker (FDW) and are required to sign a safety agreement with her.

FDWs are not covered by the Employment Act because it is not practical to regulate specific aspects of domestic work, such as hours of work and work on public holidays.

However, we encourage you to sign an employment contract with your FDW to avoid disputes. You and your FDW also need to sign a safety agreement before she starts working for you.

Employment contract

You can get your employment agency to draft a contract for you and your FDW.

Safety agreement

When you hire a first-time or transfer FDW, your employment agency needs to arrange for you and her to sign a safety agreement.

The aim of the agreement is to ensure that both of you understand MOM’s restrictions for cleaning the exterior of windows.

You do not need to sign a safety agreement if you are renewing your existing FDW's contract.

When to sign

Refer to the table for when you should sign the safety agreement:

If your FDW is Sign the agreement
A first-time FDW After the FDW has attended the Settling-In Programme and before she starts work at your home.
A transfer FDW Before the FDW is deployed to you.

What it covers

The safety agreement:

  • Lists the restrictions on cleaning the exterior of windows.
  • States that your requirements for cleaning windows will comply with our regulations.
  • Includes the FDW’s acknowledgment of your requirement on window cleaning.

To ensure that your FDW fully understands the agreement, the copy she signs will be in her native language.

The agreement will be signed by three parties: you, the employment agency and the FDW. You should each keep a copy of the agreement.

Last Updated: 5 May 2015