Skip to main content
If you haven’t set up your 2FA, you will be given a one-time grace period of 30 days to do so when you log in to SingPass from 5 July 2016.

Register a Pressure Vessel

If you own a Pressure Vessel, you must register it with MOM. You need to hire an Authorised Examiner to register and inspect the equipment for you.

Pressure Vessels that need to be registered

Under the Workplace Safety and Health (General Provisions) Regulations, you must register the following types of Pressure Vessels:

  • Air receivers (AR)
  • Steam receivers (SR)
  • Refrigeration plant pressure receivers (PR)
  • Steam boilers, including autoclaves (BR)
  • Economisers (BE)
  • Superheaters (BS)


  • The exact definitions of a pressure vessel can be found in the Workplace Safety and Health Act. The exact conditions for registering a pressure vessel can be found in Regulation 27 of the Workplace Safety and Health (General Provisions) Regulations.
  • Pressure vessels of types BR, BS and BE with a heating surface of more than 1,000 square metres must be examined and registered by MOM-authorised boiler inspectors.
  • Heating surface is defined as the total surface of all plates and tubes exposed to heat on one side, and in contact with water on the other. It is measured on either the water or fire side, depending on which side has a greater heating surface (excluding the heating surface of any economiser and superheater connected to the boiler).

Pressure Vessels that don't need to be registered

You do not need to register the following types of Pressure Vessels:

  • Pressure vessels that only process chemicals and other substances, not with air, steam or water (when being used as a refrigerant).
  • Air receivers, steam receivers or refrigerating plant pressure receivers where the safe working pressure does not exceed 0.5 bar or the product of its safe working pressure and volume does not exceed 100 bar litres.
  • Steam boilers where the maximum permissible working pressure does not exceed 0.5 bar.

Note: Regulations under the Workplace Safety and Health Act still apply even if your pressure vessel is exempted from registration requirements. For example, a Steam Receiver may have a safe working pressure below 0.5 bar. However, it still needs to have a safety valve to ensure that the supply of steam is cut off if the safe working pressure is exceeded (Regulation 29(2)(b)).

Who can register

As the owner, you must engage an Authorised Examiner to register your Pressure Vessel.

The Authorised Examiner will:

  • Conduct necessary tests and examinations.
  • Issue an examination report.
  • Register the pressure vessel on your behalf.
  • Create a new non-notifiable workplace to register the pressure vessel where necessary.

Find an Authorised Examiner for Pressure Vessel

The Authorised Examiner can use these services to register and submit reports:

More eServices and forms

Documents required

As the owner, you need to provide the Authorised Examiner with the following documents:

  • Construction drawing of the pressure vessel, showing welding details.
  • Design calculations (endorsed by the Approved Overseas Inspection Agency) made to either ASME or BSI codes.
  • A layout plan of the boiler house or room conforming to SS 567: 2011 factory layout safety health and welfare considerations.
  • A steam piping diagram (drawn to ASME 31.1/31.3).
  • (For fuel or gas or dual-fired steam boilers) Approval letter from the National Environment Agency for installing a chimney and blow-down pit.
  • (For gas or dual-fired steam boilers) Gas Train Layout Plan in compliance with BS EN 676 or equivalent.
  • (For vessel fabricated overseas) A third-party fabrication survey report from an approved overseas inspection agency certifying that the pressure vessel has been fabricated and tested according to the accepted Pressure Vessel code or standards. If you are using other pressure vessel codes, you will require approval from the Commissioner.
  • (For vessel fabricated in Singapore) A fabrication survey report from an Authorised Examiner or approved local inspection agency.

You must also keep the documents until the Pressure Vessel is longer in operation.


View additional resources for Pressure Vessels:

Last Updated: 16 June 2016