Skip to main content

Sick leave

You are entitled to both paid outpatient and hospitalisation sick leave if you have worked for at least 3 months with your employer. Your sick leave should be certified by a company doctor, a company-approved doctor or government doctor.


If you’re covered by the Employment Act, you are entitled to paid sick leave if:

  • You have served your employer for at least 3 months.
  • You have informed or tried to inform your employer within 48 hours of your absence.
  • Your sick leave is certified by the company's doctor, company-approved doctor or a government doctor (including doctors and dentists from approved public medical institutions).


The number of days of paid sick leave you are entitled to depends on your period of service, up to 14 days for outpatient non-hospitalisation leave and 60 days for hospitalisation leave. The 60 days of hospitalisation leave includes the 14 days outpatient sick leave entitlement.

Your sick leave entitlement should not be prorated if you have worked for 6 months or more.

If you have worked for less than 6 months, your entitlement is prorated:

No. of months of service completed Paid outpatient non-hospitalisation leave (days) Paid hospitalisation leave (days)
3 5 15
4 8 30
5 11 45
6 and thereafter 14 60

Note: As long as you are certified by a doctor to be in need of hospitalisation, you do not necessarily have to be warded in a hospital to be eligible for paid hospitalisation leave.

Limits on paid sick leave days

The amount of paid outpatient and hospitalisation sick leave you can take is capped at your sick leave entitlement.

If you have already taken 14 days of outpatient sick leave in a year, the number of days of hospitalisation sick leave that you can take is 46 days (60 - 14 = 46).

Medical reimbursement

If you have worked for at least 3 months:

  • Your employer must bear the cost of your medical consultation fee.
  • Your reimbursement for other medical costs, such as medication, will depend on the medical benefits in your employment contract or the company's collective agreement with its union.
  • If you fall sick during public holidays, annual leave, rest days or non-working days, you will be able to claim reimbursement for medical consultation fees.

Note: Employers are not required to grant paid sick leave or pay medical fees for cosmetic procedures. The doctor performing the examination will decide whether a procedure is for cosmetic reasons.

Salary during sick leave

If you are on paid hospitalisation leave, your employer has to pay you at your gross rate of pay. If you are on paid outpatient sick leave, your employer has to pay you at your gross rate of pay, excluding any shift allowance.

For monthly shift allowances, you should consult your employer and union on whether you can continue to receive the shift allowance during your sick leave period.

Sick leave in special situations

Find out your sick leave entitlements under different scenarios.

During non-working days, holidays and annual leaveShow

Even if you are granted medical leave by a doctor, you are not entitled to paid sick leave during:

  • Rest days
  • Public holidays
  • Non-working days
  • Annual leave
  • Unpaid leave

If you fall sick while on annual leave, it is up to your employer whether you can cancel your annual leave and take sick leave instead.

During a half working dayShow

Sick leave taken on a half working day (e.g. Saturday) should be considered as one day's sick leave.

If you run out of sick leaveShow

If you are sick but have used up all your sick leave, your employer can:

  • Allow you to go on extended no-pay leave for an agreed period.
  • Make other working arrangements that are acceptable to both of you, such as re-assigning your duties.
  • Obtain a medical assessment of whether you can continue working.

If you are unfit to workShow

If a doctor certifies that you are unfit to continue working, your employer can terminate your services. Your employer can compensate you for your termination in one of these ways:

  • Based on what is provided for in the employment contract.
  • By making a payment to you based on goodwill.

List of approved public medical institutions

The approved public medical institutions are:

  • Alexandra Hospital
  • Changi General Hospital
  • Institute of Mental Health / Woodbridge Hospital
  • Jurong Medical Centre
  • KK Women's and Children's Hospital
  • Khoo Teck Puat Hospital
  • National Cancer Centre
  • National Dental Centre
  • National Heart Centre
  • National Neuroscience Institute
  • National Skin Centre
  • National University Hospital
  • Ng Teng Fong General Hospital
  • NHG Eye Institute
  • Singapore General Hospital
  • Singapore National Eye Centre
  • Tan Tock Seng Hospital
  • All polyclinics under the National Healthcare Group
  • All polyclinics under the Singapore Health Service
Last Updated: 12 March 2017