National Crane Safety Taskforce
The National Crane Safety Taskforce was set up in July 2009. It is led by Mr Tan Wee Seng, Managing Director of Bovis Lend Lease Pte Ltd with members from various stakeholder groups, including the government, industry and suppliers.
The National Crane Safety Taskforce aims to:
- Provide industry leadership and work with the WSH Council to make recommendations to improve the safety of crane operations;
- Provide industry inputs when developing the implementation plan for the recommendations; and
- Garner buy-in and support from industry for effective implementation of the recommendations to reduce work-related fatality and injury rates involving crane incidents.
Leveraging on the Crane Incidents Analysis Workgroup’s Report shared at the Crane Symposium on 26 May 2009, the Taskforce announced a three-pronged strategy to improve crane safety. Based on the findings of over 40 crane incidents, the Taskforce identified three focus areas to improve crane safety:
- Enhancing training
- Enhancing outreach efforts
- Reviewing Codes of Practice