Skip to main content

FAQs on medical support for migrant workers

Find out more about the medical support plan and what to do when your workers are sick.

Medical support plan

Why do we need a medical support plan?Show

It is important to ensure that migrant workers continue to receive the necessary medical support, and to press on with active public health surveillance to detect and manage new clusters early and effectively.

What is in the medical support plan?Show

From 28 August 2020, the Government will implement 3 main channels of medical support for migrant workers. This includes medical centres, telemedicine and mobile clinical teams.

There are 13 Regional Medical Centres today. These medical centres have a comparative level of care to primary care services provided by GP clinics, including simple acute and chronic care management, as well as mental health.

Telemedicine is also available to all migrant workers via FWMOMCare app everyday, at all hours. Mobile clinical teams will be activated in the event of an emerging cluster.

Migrant workers may also visit any MOM-designated GP clinics, at their own expense. These designated GP clinics aim to provide more alternative options, especially to migrant workers residing in the community, while maintaining public health surveillance.

Must I pay for my worker's medical treatment at the medical centres?Show

Migrant workers with acute respiratory illness (ARI) e.g. fever, cough, running nose or sore throat will continue to receive medical care at no cost when they seek medical treatment at any Regional Medical Centres for the time being.

For all other conditions, medication and treatment, including point of care testing (POCT) and routine panels for chronic diseases will be charged based on a schedule of fees and according to groups of conditions, as shown in Table 1. All other investigations, if clinically indicated, will also be charged.

As an employer, you are responsible for providing and bearing the cost of medical treatment for your migrant workers.

Table 1 - Schedule of fees a Regional Medical Centres
  Consultation Medication / treatment, including POCT and routine panels for chronic disease All other investigations
Acute respiratory illness (ARI) Free Free Free for COVID-19 PCR and ART swab test if clinical criteria is met.
Acute Free $14 – $18 As charged.
Simple chronic1
Free $33 – $40
As charged.
Complex chronic2
Free $43 – $55 As charged.
  1. If patient has one chronic condition.
  2. If patient has two or more chronic conditions or one chronic condition with complications.

If your worker is assessed to require further diagnosis and specialist care, they will be referred to other appropriate care facilities such as polyclinics, hospitals and specialist clinics. For costs borne at these facilities, you are expected to bear the costs, per your obligations under the Employment of Foreign Manpower Act.

What to do when workers are sick

My worker is unwell and is in their dormitory. What should I do?Show

You should ensure that your worker seeks medical attention at any Regional Medical Centre or MOM-designated GP clinics for migrant workers.

Prior to visiting the Regional Medical Centre, the employer or dormitory operator should call the Managing Agent in charge of the dormitory’s region to make an appointment and ensure dedicated transportation for the visit.

If the worker lives in a dormitory, transport will be arranged by the Managing Agent to and from the medical centre.

For workers living in the five largest dormitories, they may walk-in to the respective Onsite Medical Centres (OMCs) during their operating hours.

You may also bring your worker to any designated GP clinic for migrant workers, at your own expense. You should provide dedicated transportation to and from the clinic.

Alternatively, your worker can also seek medical attention via Telemedicine, which they can access via FWMOMCare app.

Free telemedicine consultations and medication deliveries apply to Work Permit and S Pass holders living in dormitories, and community-dwelling migrant workers from the Construction, Marine shipyard and Process sectors only.

My worker is unwell and is at their workplace. What should I do?Show

Workers living in dormitories

If your worker resides in a dormitory, you should call the managing agent in charge of the region of your worker’s place of residence, to arrange an appointment for their visit to the Regional Medical Centre.

Dedicated transport

For workers whose Transport arrangements
Workplace is at the dormitory Managing agent can provide transport to and from the medical centre.
Workplace is not at the dormitory Employer to self-arrange transport for worker to go to the medical centre.
Dormitories that migrant workers reside in include:
  • Purpose Built Dormitories (PBDs), which are specially designed and built with features to meet the needs of MWs.
  • Non-Purpose Build Dormitories (nPBDs), which includes Factory Converted Dormitories (FCDs), Construction Temporary Quarters (CTQs), Temporary Living Quarters and Quarters on Temporary Occupation License Sites.

Workers living in the community

If your worker resides in private residential premises (PRPs) or HDB flats, you can bring your worker to the nearest MOM-designated GP clinic for medical attention, at your own cost. You should ensure that your worker has dedicated transport to the clinic and to return home after the consultation.

For all medical emergencies, you call 995 or should send your worker to the nearest hospital emergency department.

More on FAQs on COVID-19