Our services centres are open for customers with appointments. Please use our online services (e.g. eServices, web chat, website) or make an appointment if you’re unable to use our digital services. Find out what are the current work pass requirements.
Skip to main content

FAQs on guidelines for employees who are travelling

Find out the regions affected by COVID-19, and what you should do if you need to travel for work.

I have Malaysian workers who used to commute to Singapore daily. If they could no longer commute to Singapore for work because of the lockdown measures in Malaysia, how should I handle their leave / salary matters?Show

We advise employers to assess their manpower needs carefully and make a considered decision whether they need their Malaysian workers to remain in Singapore before the Malaysian lockdown takes effect on 18 March 2020. If they do need the workers, employers can encourage them to stay in Singapore and may wish to refer to MOM’s 17 March 2020 press release for the range of options to accommodate these workers.

For workers who do not stay in Singapore and cannot commute here for work on or after 18 March 2020, employers can place them on no-pay leave. Alternative leave arrangements will be by mutual consent.

Periodic Commuting Arrangement (PCA)

For Singapore citizens, PRs and Malaysian citizens, please refer to the FAQs on PCA. You can also email COVID_SafeTravelEnquiries@mti.gov.sg if you have feedback or queries regarding PCA.

What is the current public health travel advisory?Show

Singaporeans and residents are still advised to defer all travel abroad.

However, essential business and official travel will be permitted under Green / Fast Lane arrangement, which as of 15 June 2020, comprises the Singapore-China Fast Lane.

What are the precautions taken at the borders?Show

Travellers entering Singapore and exhibiting fever and/or other symptoms of respiratory illness are required to undergo a COVID-19 swab test at the checkpoint. Travellers who meet the clinical suspect case definition will be conveyed directly to the hospital.

The additional testing capability deployed upfront at checkpoints further increases our likelihood of detecting imported cases at the point of entry.

More info about the latest measures for inbound travellers.

MOH has advised travellers to defer all travel abroad until further notice.

Employers should note that all travellers entering Singapore will be required to serve a 14-day Stay-Home Notice (SHN) at dedicated SHN facilities, except for those who have spent the last 14 consecutive days in the following countries / regions:

  • Australia (excluding Victoria state)
  • Brunei Darussalam
  • Macao
  • Mainland China
  • Malaysia
  • New Zealand
  • Taiwan
  • Vietnam

Refer to the latest measures for inbound travellers for more info.

Employers should also note the actions that must be taken to bring pass holders from overseas into Singapore. Refer to FAQs on entry approvals for more information.

Employers should evaluate the risks and make a considered decision on whether to proceed with work-related travel plans. Alternatives, such as video conferencing or postponing the trip, should be considered. Employers should also refer to the MOH guidelines on MOH’s website on the measures that travellers should adopt when overseas.

For employees whose work is performed overseas, employers should ensure that employees are adequately protected or monitored in accordance to MOH’s guidelines.

In the event that the employee rejects the work trip due to public health concerns, employers should not penalise employees who reject the work trip due to safety and health concerns.

What should employees returning from travel or planning to travel take note of?Show

From 4 March 2020, 2359 hrs, employees should note that those entering Singapore and exhibiting fever and/or other symptoms of respiratory illness are required to undergo a COVID-19 swab test at the checkpoint. They may carry on with their journey immediately after undergoing the test. However, pending the results, which may take between three and six hours, employers should advise employees to minimise contact with others as a precautionary measure. Individuals will be contacted on their swab test results and those with positive results will be conveyed to the hospital in a dedicated ambulance.

From 20 March 2020, 2359 hrs, returning employees from all countries will be placed on SHN. Returning employees should note that they will have to provide proof of the place where they will serve the 14-day SHN, for example a hotel booking covering the entire period, or a place of residence they or their family members own.

Employees should also be reminded that from 27 March 2020, 0900 hrs, all travellers arriving in Singapore, including residents (Singapore Citizens and Permanent Residents), and Long-Term Pass Holders (student’s pass, dependant’s pass, work pass, long-term visit pass holders) must submit a health declaration before proceeding with immigration clearance. They will have to do so via the SG Arrival Card (SGAC) e-Service. The health declaration will be made available before 27 March 2020 as part of the SGAC e-service, so that travellers who are due to arrive in Singapore after 27 March, 0900 hours, can complete it in advance of their arrival.

Upon the submission of their health declaration, travellers will be notified electronically via email on the need to comply with the 14-day SHN on arrival in Singapore. This allows travellers to be notified of their SHN requirements earlier, instead of only during the immigration clearance in Singapore. At the same time, they will be made aware of the penalties under Section 21A of the IDA if they fail to comply with the requirements.

For pass holders who transited at or travelled from UK or US and arrive in Singapore from 25 March 2020, 2359 hrs, they are required to serve their 14-day Stay-Home Notice (SHN) at designated facilities. They cannot serve the SHN at their own homes. Once they arrive, they will be informed of the location and sent directly to the facility. The cost for the facility will be absorbed by the Government.

Employees should also note that any Singapore resident or Long Term Pass holder who leaves Singapore from 27 March 2020, in disregard of the prevailing travel advisories, will be charged at unsubsidised rates for their inpatient stay at public hospitals, if they are admitted for suspected COVID-19 and have onset of symptoms within 14 days of returning to Singapore. Singapore residents will also not be able to claim from MediShield Life or Integrated Shield Plans for these treatments at public and private hospitals.

More on FAQs on COVID-19