Employers must obtain our approval before housing any workers in a TLQ.
- Application period for TLQs will end on 30 September 2020. We will not accept any more applications after that.
- The TLQ Scheme will end on 31 March 2021 and all TLQs must be removed. Workers must be housed in approved accommodation from 1 April 2021.
How to apply
Employers seeking to convert your workplaces (factory or office space) to TLQs to house your foreign workers must make an application first.
You can house:
- Maximum 30 in an office-converted TLQ.
- Maximum 40 for a TLQ at a construction site.
- Maximum 40 in a factory-converted TLQ.
- Download and complete Form A – Checklist for TLQ, and embed all required photographs within.
- Apply online and attach the completed “Form A – Checklist for TLQ”.
You must submit one application per address.
For multi-tenanted units, each unit will be considered one address.
Do not combine multiple unit numbers into one address as the application will be rejected.
We will process your application within 5 working days of receipt.
If you have previously submitted a declaration for a TLQ, you do not need to submit an application for the same TLQ.
However, if you would like to increase the maximum capacity of your TLQ, you must get MOM’s permission online.
As an employer, you must ensure that:
NEA has temporarily allowed TLQ premises to be situated within health and safety (H&S) buffer areas. This waiver is a one-off and does not set the precedence to allow TLQ to be located within H&S buffers after the COVID-19 period.
You should ensure these conditions are met:
- Where possible, you should carry out a risk assessment to identify the furthest location within their plant to site the TLQ away from any large storage of hazardous materials.
- You should also comply with NEA’s general conditions on provisions of sanitary facilities and refuse collection / disposal:
Government officers may inspect the TLQ premises at any time. Any false information in the application form, or failure to keep the TLQ safe and clean, may result in enforcement action and revocation of approval.
What can be converted
Employers can convert workplaces (factory or office space) in the following areas:
- Land zoned in Business 1 / Business 2 and Business Parks.
- Site offices at construction sites to TLQs.
- Addition of new modules (containers or partitions) to existing construction temporary quarters (CTQs) at construction sites.
Private Residential Premises (PRPs), HDB flats, hotel rooms, holiday chalet units and similar short-term accommodation are not eligible for conversion into TLQs.
Temporary Occupancy License (TOL) land is not eligible for conversion into TLQs. If you wish to set up temporary housing on TOL land, you should submit a TOLQ application instead.
Length of use
The TLQ Scheme will end on 31 March 2021. All new and existing TLQs will be automatically extended to this date. You do not need to apply for an extension.
For JTC lessee or tenant
If you are a JTC lessee or tenant, please inform JTC of your new TLQ by email to email@example.com after you have received MOM’s approval.
Your email should include:
- A copy of Form A – Checklist for TLQ with all details filled in and photos embedded
- A copy of MOM’s approval
- Company name
- Company UEN
- Address of TLQ
- Number of workers housed at the TLQ
For employers who are JTC’s subtenants, you must obtain your building owner’s written consent before applying to MOM. The building owner’s written consent must be submitted to JTC when notifying them of MOM’s TLQ approval.
For TLQ employers who are JTC’s subtenants (i.e. you are not in direct contract with JTC), the auto extension will be subjected to your building owner’s approval. Please seek further approval from the building owner on the extension of the TLQ until 31 March 2021.
How to update details of TLQs
You can update details of TLQs online, such as:
- Make corrections to typos in submitted application form, e.g. wrong postal code, etc.
- Apply for MOM’s approval to increase or decrease the maximum capacity of TLQ.
- Notify MOM that TLQ has ceased operation.