Advisory on supporting the well-being of migrant workers
Issued on 10 February 2021
- As an employer, you play a critical role in looking out for our migrant workers and supporting them. We seek your support to show care and concern to workers, especially those who may be in distress. You may wish to refer to four simple tips below on how best you can support your workers.
- Show care and concern for your workers, especially if there is negative news from their home countries / regions, families or disputes among co-workers. Some signs to look out for are:
- Withdrawing to themselves
- Dependency on alcohol
- Change in behaviour, e.g. speaking to themselves often, saying unusual things
- Difficulty in performing tasks, absenteeism
- If you have not already done so, set up a buddy system to help your workers. Connecting those who speak the same language, belong to the same culture will provide familiarity and comfort.
- If your workers need to speak to someone, please refer them to the listed multi-language helplines available:
|HealthServe (24 hours daily)
|Migrant Workers' Centre (24 hours daily)
Monday to Friday (Whatsapp text)
- In addition, primary care and medical services are available:
- Thank you for doing your part in caring for our migrant workers. Please also share these useful health resources with your workers.