Advisory on Safe Management Measures for workers on employer-provided transportation
Issued on 10 April 2020
Updated as of 26 June 2020
- On 19 May 2020, the Multi-Ministry Taskforce announced a phased approach to resuming activities safely as we exit the circuit breaker period, including safe management practices on public transport where commuters will be required to wear a mask, refrain from talking to one another or on their mobile phones, and maintain good personal hygiene.
- To ensure safe management on employer-provided transportation as well, the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) and Land Transport Authority (LTA) have updated this Advisory, which takes effect on 2 June 2020.
- Employers, transport providers and drivers must ensure Safe Management Measures are implemented when ferrying workers on all employer-provided transportation (e.g. private buses, vans and lorries):
- All workers wear a mask at all times while seated in the motor vehicle.
- Workers should not talk or interact at all times while on the motor vehicle.
- When using a lorry or van, the clear floor space of the deck available for each seated passenger shall not be less than 0.496 square metres. This means a 25% reduction of the Maximum Passenger Capacity (MPC) allowable for each lorry or van. For example, if the MPC label states 36 pax, the vehicle will be allowed to carry up to 27 pax.
- Employers must also arrange private transportation for workers staying in dormitories1 to commute to and from their workplaces, and with no other passengers. For further questions, please refer to the FAQs.
- These measures are necessary to prevent cross-infections between migrant workers living in dormitories and the community, in both directions. If necessary, employers should make provisions for additional trips or vehicles.
- Employers, transport providers and drivers are expected to comply with the above from 2 June 2020 until notified otherwise by the authorities.
- For further queries, please contact:
Ministry of Manpower
Land Transport Authority
- This refers to Purpose-built Dormitories, Factory-converted Dormitories, Construction Temporary Quarters, Temporary Living Quarters, Quarters on Temporary Occupation Licence Sites and Government-provided accommodation facilities. This excludes private residential premises and HDB flats.